Proper nouns, Greek to English

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Proper nouns, Greek to English

Post by akhnaten »

Not a huge issue--but it would help me a little. I have tried a few google and textkit searches without luck. In fact, the searches are better at coming up with vocabulary lists without proper nouns!

Is there a list of only proper nouns, Greek and English? Historical and fictional people and deities, places, that sort of thing. I do not need a whole dictionary, but if I could see maybe 50 or 100 common names (taken from any dialect), I would get a better grasp of how these words are historically transliterated. At this point, I am only coming across a handful at a time, which does not provide a good picture of transliteration.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: Proper nouns, Greek to English

Post by cb »

hi, here you go, it's in the back of woodhouse's english to grk dictionary:

http://artflsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ ... er=Keyword

cheers, chad

akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Post by akhnaten »

this is exactly what i was looking for, thank you.
(again, not important at this stage. i'm assuming that if the names show nom. and gen. forms, they are declinable names. if they only show a nominative entry, they are indeclinable?)

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, they're all declinable. i think woodhouse just gives the gen. where the reader might not know how to form it. cheers, chad