dumb question re: representing greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

dumb question re: representing greek

Post by klewlis »

It's been so long since I've been active here--last time we were still using spionic.

I checked the sticky threads about this but they don't seem up-to-date (and the windows one has an empty post...).

Can someone recap how to write greek letters in the forum? Then I can update the instruction threads. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

daivid
Administrator

Re: dumb question re: representing greek

Post by daivid »

klewlis wrote:It's been so long since I've been active here--last time we were still using spionic.

I checked the sticky threads about this but they don't seem up-to-date (and the windows one has an empty post...).

Can someone recap how to write greek letters in the forum? Then I can update the instruction threads. :)
What I use and it seems to me pretty much everyone uses is utf8. I have linux fedora installed and while it is possible that I had to check an option when I installed it I think utf8 was the default in any case. Hence I don't know what to advise people who need to do somethig special to get utf8 setup.

Getting a Greek keyboard is a little trickier -
To set it up I need to run:
"setxkbmap 'gb,gr' -variant ',polytonic' -option 'grp:alt_shift_toggle' ,grp_led:scroll"
from the command line. (gb for a uk keyboard as the alternative so that would be different for others)
λονδον

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I guess my question is do people actually type the greek letters into the post box (if so, how?) or do they type the words out somewhere else (like a word processor) and then copy and paste them in here?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

There is a standard Windows Greek keyboard that anyone can install onto their pc:

http://www.biblicalgreek.org/links/fonts/keyboard.html

When I use a public computer I type into and cut and paste from here:

http://gate2home.com/Greek-Keyboard

though this particular one does not have the diacritics.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Thanks! I will check those out.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω

awesome, that worked in windows 7.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Hi,

I'm a Linux user and I use typegreek.com. If I also need numbers, I use this site. I also have a standalone program, in case I don't have Internet connection: Unigreek. All these methods rely on betacode.

Τὸ αὐτὸ Ἑλληνιστί :D

Cheers!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Windows and OS X both have built-in Greek support nowadays. I'd recommend stealing these instructions:

http://www.cambridgescp.com/downloads/typegreek.pdf

The only additions that I would make would be how to assign a hot key (I switch between Greek and English by pressing option-space on the keyboard), and how to see the keyboard layout (useful until you learn it).

There are some complications with diaeresis, marking vowel length, etc., and these vary between Windows and OS X. The OS X keyboard (and maybe Windows?) has many useful characters like ϝ, ϙ, ϡ.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, the one i always used to use until the last week or so is the one you get if you google "greek unicode inputter", which is good (already linked above):

http://babel.mml.ox.ac.uk/naughton/poly ... utter.html

now i've switched to the windows keyboard. cheers, chad