translating

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
iamandrew
Textkit Neophyte

translating

Post by iamandrew »

I have a sentence to translate: Σῴζομαι ὑπὀ τοῦ ἀοελφοῦ (I hope I wrote it correctly)
What would be the best way to translate sentences like this one? Are there any tips you can give me?
Could you also please tell me the meaning of the sentence?

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: translating

Post by Damoetas »

This looks like a sentence from a beginning grammar of New Testament Greek. It means, "I am saved by the brother" (or: "by my brother").

Are you enrolled in a beginning Greek class? We can help more if you tell us a little more about your situation, your current level, and what your goals are.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

iamandrew
Textkit Neophyte

Post by iamandrew »

I am enrolled in a beginning Greek class (at university), Attic Greek. I have never studied this language before. I am also studying Latin. My goals...I guess I want to learn Greek and read eg. Aristole and the New Testament.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Damoetas wrote:This looks like a sentence from a beginning grammar of New Testament Greek. It means, "I am saved by the brother" (or: "by my brother").

Are you enrolled in a beginning Greek class? We can help more if you tell us a little more about your situation, your current level, and what your goals are.
Would you not prefer the present continuous in English? "I am being saved by my brother." (Also, just for completeness, we should point out that it's ἀδελφοῦ rather than *ἀοελφοῦ.)

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

Without any context, there's no reason to prefer one or the other. But yes, it's worth pointing out that σῴζομαι can mean either "I am saved" (repeatedly, or as a general statement) or "I am being saved" (as a current, ongoing process).
jaihare wrote:Would you not prefer the present continuous in English? "I am being saved by my brother."
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?