W.H.D. Rouse's Sounds of Ancient Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

W.H.D. Rouse's Sounds of Ancient Greek

Post by jeidsath »

https://archive.org/details/grc-whdr-sounds.b

I have finally gotten my hands on the first record of Rouse's 1932 Linguaphone recording thanks to the University of Chicago archive. The second (more interesting) record is, alas, still unavailable.

Rouse's enunciation is very clear, and he uses a pronunciation very similar to the Vox Graeca suggested pronunciation from some decades later, with minor differences. His cadence is good, and his tonal accents are strong, with a sing-song quality.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: W.H.D. Rouse's Sounds of Ancient Greek

Post by jeidsath »

The British Library was able to get me copies of the second disc. You can now hear Rouse read Demosthenes, Sophocles, Homer, and Pindar.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: W.H.D. Rouse's Sounds of Ancient Greek

Post by bedwere »