Translation from English to ancient Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Markus
Textkit Neophyte

Translation from English to ancient Greek

Post by Markus »

Hi! I need help translating the sentence "The truth is never simple and yet it is" to Greek. But not just any Greek, ancient Greek as it would have been written roughly around 300 B.C.
I've used google, wikipedia and various reddits to get this translation and letters Image(It's an image because I couldn't get the correct letters otherwise).
I've learned that it would've been written in majuscule and without spaces. And from what my eyes can tell the letters in the picture I linked are identical to the ones on the Rosetta stone.
Are there any other inconsistencies I might have overlooked or would you say I've got it right? I really need to get this right and your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! / Markus

y11971alex
Textkit Member

Re: Translation from English to ancient Greek

Post by y11971alex »

Aren't Greek epigrams written in boustrophedon?
University of Toronto: learning Attic Greek

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

It looks like this translation is modern greek. Ancient Greek used different forms of the verb "to be/is". Your translation has EINAI. It should be ESTIN.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Even if translated to ancient Greek, it would still sound more like an empty movie quote than something that an ancient might have said, much less written down or carved in stone. Tattoo status: not recommended.

If you're quote mining, I'd suggest Menander.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Markus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Markus »

y11971alex wrote:Aren't Greek epigrams written in boustrophedon?
I looked up what "boustrophedon" means and it seems you are absolutely correct! Thank you!
mahasacham wrote:It looks like this translation is modern greek. Ancient Greek used different forms of the verb "to be/is". Your translation has EINAI. It should be ESTIN.
You are correct! The translation is simply English>Greek from Google Translate :lol:
I did contact a university teacher of Ancient Greek but he never got back to me. Could you possibly translate for me? If not, could you point me towards someone who can?
jeidsath wrote:Even if translated to ancient Greek, it would still sound more like an empty movie quote than something that an ancient might have said, much less written down or carved in stone. Tattoo status: not recommended.

If you're quote mining, I'd suggest Menander.
It is a movie quote but I don't need it to sound like something an ancient person might have said. This quote means something to me and I've had it in mind to make it permanent on me for years.
Thank you for your very thoughtful advice though.

Any help with translating this will be GREATLY appreciated!