Is Σαδυάττεω the dative of Σαδυάττης?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
daivid
Administrator

Is Σαδυάττεω the dative of Σαδυάττης?

Post by daivid »

Hdt. 1.16.1
Ἄρδυος δὲ βασιλεύσαντος ἑνὸς δέοντα πεντήκοντα ἔτεα ἐξεδέξατο Σαδυάττης ὁ Ἄρδυος, καὶ ἐβασίλευσε ἔτεα δυώδεκα, Σαδυάττεω δὲ Ἀλυάττης
What declension is Σαδυάττης? It looks like a masculine first declension but could it be a third declension?

The context seems to require after Σαδυάττης ὁ Ἄρδυος, "And he ruled 12 years, and from-Saduattes Alyattes (succeded). Some for of dative seems most likely to provide that sense but I'm guessing.
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Is Σαδυάττεω the dative of Σαδυάττης?

Post by bedwere »

I'd say genitive, since in Attic it would be Σαδυάττου

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Ionic πολίτης is πολίτεω in the genitive. You can see Smyth 214 D. 5. b.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Thank you both.
Interestingly, last night, just as I was drifting off into sleep, it occurred to me that the genitive was more likely as it is associated with coming from. Thanks for the confirmation.
jeidsath wrote:Ionic πολίτης is πολίτεω in the genitive. You can see Smyth 214 D. 5. b.
After a year of Greek you can read Mark without a dictionary and find your way round Smyth? :o
λονδον

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

My acquaintance with Smyth has only just begun. But on that note, I recommend checking this Perseus release: https://github.com/PerseusDL/sg_reader

It is in early stages, but if you clone that repository you will find that it includes all of Smyth in easy-to-use (and search!) html files.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com