Athenaze Study Group - Lessons 9 & 10 Discussion

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Athenaze Study Group - Lessons 9 & 10 Discussion

Post by jaihare »

This thread is for discussion lessons 9 and 10 - for the sake of cementing the material.

Feel free to post links to practice materials, helps, paradigms and other things that will help in mastering the materials in these two chapters.

In the meantime, I've created a PDF with paradigms and some notes from chapter nine. I'll tell you later what I find difficult to remember and see if you have pointers about how I can learn it better. Also, perhaps we can create practice sentences of our own using the material so that we can learn it better.

Regards,
Jason

daivid
Administrator

Re: Athenaze Study Group - Lessons 9 & 10 Discussion

Post by daivid »

Errr, on reflection is this the right place to be posting actual exercises rather than more general points arrising from the chapters? If so, should I blank/ delete it and post in the correct thread when it is opened?

This is my stab at 10 ε

πέμψομεν βασιλεῖ ἄγγελον.
ὁ βασιλεὺς ἀκούσει τοῦ ἀγγέλου καὶ βοηθήσει ἡμεῖς
τὶ πράξετε, ὦ παῖδες; ἐν κινδύνῳ ἔσεσθαι.
πείσομεν πατρὶ καὶ σπεύσομεν οἴκαδε.
ἡγήσεται οἱ νεανίαι ἡμεῖς καὶ ἑψόμεθα.
λονδον

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

daivid,

Once we get to opening up lesson 10, I'll let you know and you can just copy this right over. We're still at the end of 9 right now. :)

This thread is technically for questions and discussion, since these are some heavy chapters.

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

I'm definitely still working on the second half of Nine-just posted epsilon and zeta at the other Athenaze place. Hope to finish Nine soon. Regards!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I've just put together some notes on the future forms of chapter 10α. You can see them here. Let me know if you find any typos. I wrote this up quickly.

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

jaihare wrote:I've just put together some notes on the future forms of chapter 10α. You can see them here. Let me know if you find any typos. I wrote this up quickly.
I wanted to check it but MS service unavailable. I'll try again. I've subscribed this discussion.
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

brunapogliano wrote:
jaihare wrote:I've just put together some notes on the future forms of chapter 10α. You can see them here. Let me know if you find any typos. I wrote this up quickly.
I wanted to check it but MS service unavailable. I'll try again. I've subscribed this discussion.
I just opened it, and it worked. So, I assume you should be able to access it now.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I was just thinking about how chapter 10α (and also 12α) presents so many verbs in a list that you're just supposed to memorize. In this sense, it seems that Athenaze is contradicting its own pedagogical principles. We're supposed to be learning through storytelling and through repetition, seeing verb forms and such presented in a natural way. Memorizing lists is not natural, so they seem to be contradicting how they want to teach language.

Anyway, I just don't like memorizing lists like this. I don't think it's just me.

I'm gonna look at the Italian version of Athenaze in chapter 10 and see if they present the verbs this way there, too.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Just looked at 10α of Athenaze in Italian, and no they don't make verb lists. The chapter has only the story reading with no grammar discussion at all. How frustrating! I wonder if they've changed this in the new edition to match more what's going on in the Italian version (which really is better, by the way).

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Is anyone else bothered by this?

πείθω → πείσω
πείθομαι → πείσομαι
πάσχω → πείσομαι

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

jaihare wrote:
brunapogliano wrote:
I just opened it, and it worked. So, I assume you should be able to access it now.
it's now working and I have downloaded your file. thank you
Last edited by brunapogliano on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

jaihare wrote:I was just thinking about how chapter 10α (and also 12α) presents so many verbs in a list that you're just supposed to memorize. In this sense, it seems that Athenaze is contradicting its own pedagogical principles. We're supposed to be learning through storytelling and through repetition, seeing verb forms and such presented in a natural way. Memorizing lists is not natural, so they seem to be contradicting how they want to teach language.

Anyway, I just don't like memorizing lists like this. I don't think it's just me.

I'm gonna look at the Italian version of Athenaze in chapter 10 and see if they present the verbs this way there, too.
as you may have understood, I'm a hard worker. Studying is a pleasure, even memorizing. So it doesn't bother me at all.
Athenaze contradicting its pedagogical principles? Definitely. This is why I wrote that people expect to learn in a friendly and "natural" environment, but sooner or later they realize it takes a lot of work and traditional work too.
as I said, memorizing is ok for me, but I also use some tools that work perfectly fine with me. One is http://quizlet.com/, highly customisable. This is a Quizlet I've made to practice 2nd Aorist forms http://quizlet.com/63895236/greco-aoris ... ash-cards/, it's Italian Greek but the Italian provides also Greek indic. pres. form so it won't be a problem for you if you decide to give it a try. Have a go at the different sections of the page, the same words are presented and drilled in 6 ways.
If you like it (tour the website, it's Worth it) we could make our own Quizlets to practice any form, verb tense, whatever.
bye
btw: it may not take us anywhere, but aorist is highly indefinite :lol:
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

jaihare wrote:Is anyone else bothered by this?

πείθω → πείσω
πείθομαι → πείσομαι
πάσχω → πείσομαι
not really, just memorize and practice
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

jaihare wrote:Just looked at 10α of Athenaze in Italian, and no they don't make verb lists. The chapter has only the story reading with no grammar discussion at all. How frustrating! I wonder if they've changed this in the new edition to match more what's going on in the Italian version (which really is better, by the way).
I've been working on the Italian edition for quite some time now, it's different. Ch. 10 focusses on contracted verbs only, plus some 3rd declension stems. I don't know if I have the same edition you consulted. Some things are better, but there are fewer exercises than in the English edition. Both have good parts and drawbacks.
What I like less is the order and disorder with which they introduce the grammar topics. You need to have it clear in your mind before using Athenaze to work everything out.
bye
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

About memorizing verbs-I don't like it, but it's part of the game I suppose. I am considering Athenaze as the text for the little amount of tutoring in Greek that I do, (it's pretty rare) and don't think the students will want to do a lot of memorizing, so...I'm pretty easy to please, don't know about everybody else. As far as using arrows from verb form to verb form-actually looks pretty neat-neater than the way I did. .