Deponent active vs middle meaning

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Xyloplax
Textkit Neophyte

Deponent active vs middle meaning

Post by Xyloplax »

Basic question: do deponent verbs only use the middle form as an active sense only or do they also use the middle sense? In other words, is it possible for a deponent verb to have an active sense, a middle sense, and by extension a passive sense? Or do deponent verbs only get used in an active sense? Smyth implies the latter. My "Greek ain't never that simple" gut feeling says the former. Thoughts?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Deponent active vs middle meaning

Post by Qimmik »

I don't think you can generalize about this. You have to learning the range of meanings for each verb.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Deponent active vs middle meaning

Post by Markos »

Qimmik wrote:I don't think you can generalize about this. You have to learning the range of meanings for each verb.
I very much agree with this. It is good advice, not only for this subject, but for any area of meta-language.
Xyloplax wrote:"Greek ain't never that simple..."
Yes and no. It may be that Greek is simple enough (even a child can understood it) but that generalizing about it is not.