libreoffice-openoffice Anc Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
daivid
Administrator

libreoffice-openoffice Anc Greek

Post by daivid »

The Ancient Greek dictionary for libreoffice+openoffice can be found here
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/exten ... cientgreek

As well as providing a spellchecker it also provides conversion from Beta Code to Unicode and the same for SPIonic.
λονδον

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: libreoffice-openoffice Anc Greek

Post by bedwere »

Thanks!

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Post by Σαυλος »

If you get this to work well for you, tell us how.
I've used it on pages of Greek that I've typed and found problems.

First, I figured out that I needed to convert everything from Basic to Extended (or is it from Extended to Basic). But the extension includes a tool that does that nicely with a click.

Then I found that the spellchecker worked nicely for nearly all words, but certain words that are marked as spelled wrong though they are not. I wonder if it has to do with the Basic/Extended problem.

If I understand right, when the standard Greek polytonic unicode map was made, there was a misunderstanding about certain characters being different between modern and ancient greek, so they duplicated them. Somewhere I have a list of which ones were duplicated.
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Σαῦλος wrote:If you get this to work well for you, tell us how.
I've used it on pages of Greek that I've typed and found problems.

First, I figured out that I needed to convert everything from Basic to Extended (or is it from Extended to Basic). But the extension includes a tool that does that nicely with a click.

Then I found that the spellchecker worked nicely for nearly all words, but certain words that are marked as spelled wrong though they are not. I wonder if it has to do with the Basic/Extended problem.

If I understand right, when the standard Greek polytonic unicode map was made, there was a misunderstanding about certain characters being different between modern and ancient greek, so they duplicated them. Somewhere I have a list of which ones were duplicated.
As I have only just upgraded my libre office, I haven't had a chance to try out the conversion macros yet. I have noticed how multiple values will mean some correct words as errors but this isn't too much of a problem as it will supply a correction with the form it is happy with. However I have just checked and it does seem to handle these duplicates better now.

If you find your list, do post it. I and I assume others would be curious to know what this Unicode duplication consists of.

(As a side note this is why it would be a bad idea to have an Ancient Greek password)
λονδον