Should education be fun?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Should education be fun?

Post by jeidsath »

I'll get around to transcribing people's recently posted audio shortly, but I saw this on Laudator Temporis Acti:
Aristotle, Politics 8.4.4 (1339 a; tr. H. Rackham):
Now it is not difficult to see that one must not make amusement the object of the education of the young; for amusement does not go with learning—learning is a painful process.

ὅτι μὲν οὖν δεῖ τοὺς νέους μὴ παιδιᾶς ἕνεκα παιδεύειν, οὐκ ἄδηλον· οὐ γὰρ παίζουσι μανθάνοντες, μετὰ λύπης γὰρ ἡ μάθησις.
I liked this, but λύπης echoed in my head as a read it, with the last part of the quotation sounding almost proverbial. I didn't think that came out in the translation. Have I made any serious blunders with the following?

"It’s obvious that the young shouldn’t learn as a pastime. Learners are not at play — the learning comes through grief."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Should education be fun?

Post by mwh »

Interesting to set this alongside what he say in the Poetics:

"Learning (μανθάνειν) is most pleasurable (ἥδιστον) not just to philosophers but to everyone else too (καὶ τοῖς ἄλλοις ὁμοίως)." (This in the context of mimesis.)

So: we all enjoy learning, but it’s a painful process?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Should education be fun?

Post by bedwere »

They used to have plenty of painful corporal punishment.
C o l l o q u i u m H a r l e i a n u m

ἄξιος εἶ δαρῆναι. dignus es vapulare.