Greek New Testament Interlinears

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Greek New Testament Interlinears

Post by jeidsath »

I recently gave a friend this advice. Maybe others have better suggestions?
For a printed interlinear, the most useful that I know of is produced by Jehovah's Witnesses. It's called the "Kingdom Interlinear" and you should be able to order a copy for free if you are willing to ask one of the people standing next to the displays at BART stops, etc. They stick "Jehovah" in for κυρίος in the running English translation -- fine in Hebrew, wrongheaded in Greek -- for theological reasons. But other than that, I can't find too many faults. The Greek text is plain old Wescott and Hort.
I've also used the Word Study Greek-English New Testament, but it's large and printed in all caps. I didn't like it. Biblehub's interlinear was very useful, but is online only. I suppose it's a bit of a niche question, since it didn't take long for me to graduate to UBS Reader's Edition.

The method I suggested to my friend was what I started off with: use the interlinear + translation to learn a block of text, and then review entirely with the Greek text (no English notes).
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Ιακοβ
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greek New Testament Interlinears

Post by Ιακοβ »

Recently I've heard quite a people recommend avoiding using an interlinear, unless your not planning to master reading greek fluently. The idea is also expressed in a book I recently read:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Greek-S ... 0310329078

The idea being that having the English too close to the greek makes it easy to cheat, allowing you to avoid properly practicing reading the greek. (I happen to agree with the idea).

Their suggestion is only go with interlinear if your not aiming to be able to read the greek text fluently, which is perfectly understandable for those of whom reading greek is not a main priority.

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

I'd be prone to agree with not using an interlinear if you're really serious about mastering Greek.

I've seen (and had in my possession for a too short while) Duckwitz's treatments of Luke from Bolchazy-Carducci. I'd say from my memory that it's better than an interlinear, but it's *very* much over noted.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I'd be prone to agree with not using an interlinear if you're really serious about mastering Greek.
I used one. I can't imagine a better beginner's tool. Conquer new sentences with an interlinear, and then review known sentences without it. You'll be getting massive input and fast. And after six months you'll never crack it open again.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com