αὐτό as αὐτόν

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

αὐτό as αὐτόν

Post by jeidsath »

Avoiding the original thread. The LSJ says that αὐτό is sometimes written αὐτόν and gives Leg. Gort. 3.4 as a reference. This is short for Leges Gortynensium (GDI 4991, Schwyzer 179). GDI is Sammlung der griechischen Dialekt-Inschriften. Inscription 4991 is here: https://books.google.com/books?id=_3IsA ... &q&f=false

I think that the quote in question is:

αἰ δέ τι ἄλλο φέροι τῶ ἀνδρός, πέντε στατῆρανς καταστασεῖ κὤτι κα φερῃ αὐτόν, κὤτι κα παρἐλῃ ἀποδότω αὐτόν. ὠν δέ κ’...

The original follows. Remember that it is boustrophedon, and note the interchanged forms of sigma and pi.

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: αὐτό as αὐτόν

Post by mwh »

LSJ also says "al.", which (as I think I said before) covers a multitude. It can be difficult to know whether to take auton as a casual error for auto or (more likely in my view) as a real orthographic variant—if indeed the distinction can be made.