Help with ancient Greek transcription!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
DitrasetMan
Textkit Neophyte

Help with ancient Greek transcription!

Post by DitrasetMan »

Good evening,

I was at an ancient history museum abroad and while there I saw a very interesting 12" long x 8" high x 2" thick marble slab. According to the museum it was a 3rd century (or so) Hellenistic storefront sign for a business that sold oil lamps. I was not allowed to take a picture, but I did write down the inscription on the marble. It was two lines of text, like this:

ΑΦΝΑΕΙΦΩΣΦΟΡΩ
ΛΑΜΓΩΝΓΑΕΙΤΟΣ

In the second line, it is possible that either the first or the second gamma (or both) identified above are a Pi.

I wrote the letters exactly as they appear, but keep in mind, the words were not separated by spaces to make it easier.

Some people think that it translates to:

ΑΦΝΑΕΙΦΩΣΦΟΡΩ
"[person's name] the light-bringer"
ΛΑΜΓ(or Pi)ΩΝΓ(or Pi)ΑΕΙΤΟΣ
"maker of lamps."

I am happy to hear your thoughts!

daivid
Administrator

Re: Help with ancient Greek transcription!

Post by daivid »

DitrasetMan wrote:Good evening,

I was at an ancient history museum abroad and while there I saw a very interesting 12" long x 8" high x 2" thick marble slab. According to the museum it was a 3rd century (or so) Hellenistic storefront sign for a business that sold oil lamps. I was not allowed to take a picture, but I did write down the inscription on the marble. It was two lines of text, like this:

ΑΦΝΑΕΙΦΩΣΦΟΡΩ
ΛΑΜΓΩΝΓΑΕΙΤΟΣ

In the second line, it is possible that either the first or the second gamma (or both) identified above are a Pi.

I wrote the letters exactly as they appear, but keep in mind, the words were not separated by spaces to make it easier.

Some people think that it translates to:

ΑΦΝΑΕΙΦΩΣΦΟΡΩ
"[person's name] the light-bringer"
ΛΑΜΓ(or Pi)ΩΝΓ(or Pi)ΑΕΙΤΟΣ
"maker of lamps."

I am happy to hear your thoughts!
This post got lost when there was a hiatus in the moderation of new posts - sorry.

I do wonder if it could be λαμπρότατος ie most radiant.
λονδον

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with ancient Greek transcription!

Post by jeidsath »

I think it wound up getting posted under a new user account: http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =2&t=64049
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com