αυτη

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
richard ross
Textkit Neophyte

αυτη

Post by richard ross »

μή τί μοι αὐτῷ πῆμα κακὸν βουλευσέμεν ἄλλο. Odyssey 179

μή τί τοι αὐτῷ πῆμα κακὸν βουλευσέμεν ἄλλο. Odyssey 187

ἀλλὰ τὰ μὲν νοέω καὶ φράσσομαι, ἅσσ᾽ ἂν ἐμοί περ Odyssey 188-189
αὐτῇ μηδοίμην

καὶ γὰρ ἐμοὶ νόος ἐστὶν ἐναίσιμος, οὐδέ μοι αὐτῇ Odyssey 189- 90
θυμὸς ἐνὶ στήθεσσι σιδήρεος, ἀλλ᾽ ἐλεήμων.

Whats going on with αυτη? Intensive? Reflexive? It seems closely associated with μοι.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: αυτη

Post by Paul Derouda »

I'm not sure about the terminology, but it's not reflexive in these contexts. Perhaps intensive then.

μή τί μοι/τοι αὐτῷ πῆμα κακὸν βουλευσέμεν ἄλλο.
In these examples I don't see much meaning in αὐτῷ, except that it might be slightly emphatic. It's possible that the poet is just adapting a formula that doesn't quite fit the context here, because we find the exact same words at 10.300, but there αὐτῷ has a distinct meaning and is used to distinguish Odysseus from his comrades.

ἀλλὰ τὰ μὲν νοέω καὶ φράσσομαι, ἅσσ᾽ ἂν ἐμοί περ Odyssey 188-189
αὐτῇ μηδοίμην
ἐμοί περ αὐτῇ "also for myself". He the word has a clear sense, what Calypso is proposing Odysseus is what she claims she would plan for herself too, in the same situation.

καὶ γὰρ ἐμοὶ νόος ἐστὶν ἐναίσιμος, οὐδέ μοι αὐτῇ
θυμὸς ἐνὶ στήθεσσι σιδήρεος, ἀλλ᾽ ἐλεήμων.

"even I [just like you and everybody] have a thumos that is not made of iron". This is clearly intensive in the sense I understand the word.

richard ross
Textkit Neophyte

Re: αυτη

Post by richard ross »

I forgot to add that these examples come from book 5 of the Odyssey.