What is an ollendorff?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mahasacham
Textkit Member

What is an ollendorff?

Post by mahasacham »

I was reading the preface to Asahel C. Kendrick's Greek Ollendorff and in the first sentence he states "The present work is what its title indicates, strictly an ollendorff, and aims to apply methods which has proved so successful in the acquisition of the Modern languages to the study of the Ancient Greek ....."

So what exactly does this word mean? I did a google search but nothing came up and when I used Google translate it wanted to translate this word from Welsh.....it gave no translation though.

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Re: What is an ollendorff?

Post by mahasacham »

I thought that it was a person's name but the way he used the word made me think it was actually a title or maybe some obscure German word. I'm sure everyone will get a chuckle over this question. :D

εἰ προκόψαι θέλεις, ὑπόμεινον ἕνεκα τῶν ἐκτὸς ἀνόητος δόξας καὶ ἠλίθιος, μηδὲν βούλου δοκεῖν ἐπίστασθαι: κἂν δόξῃς τις εἶναί τισιν, ἀπίστει σεαυτῷ. 8)

daivid
Administrator

Re: What is an ollendorff?

Post by daivid »

mahasacham wrote:I thought that it was a person's name but the way he used the word made me think it was actually a title or maybe some obscure German word. I'm sure everyone will get a chuckle over this question. :D
But it is being used in the sense "a text book using the method of ollendorff" so you assumption is really off the mark.
λονδον