Herodotus 4.106

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Herodotus 4.106

Post by Paul Derouda »

Recently, in another thread, I pointed out that Finns are not Indo-Europeans. What exactly they are can be found in the Budé edition of Herodotus.

4.106. ἀνδροφάγοι δὲ ἀγριώτατα πάντων ἀνθρώπων ἔχουσι ἤθεα, οὔτε δίκην νομίζοντες οὔτε νόμῳ οὐδενὶ χρεώμενοι: νομάδες δὲ εἰσι, ἐσθῆτά τε φορέουσι τῇ Σκυθικῇ ὁμοίην, γλῶσσαν δὲ ἰδίην, ἀνδροφαγέουσι δὲ μοῦνοι τούτων.

In a footnote the editor Legrand notes that according to 4.18, the ἀνδροφάγοι are an ἔθνος ἴδιον καὶ οὐδαμῶς Σκυθικόν and notes "on a supposé que ce pouvait être une population de race finnoise", "it has been supposed that this might be a population of Finnish stock".

I've got to digest this for a while, along with the rather heavy dinner I just had...

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Herodotus 4.106

Post by Hylander »

in another thread, I pointed out that Finns are not Indo-Europeans
No big deal. None of us who speak Indo-European languages today are Indo-Europeans, either.
I've got to digest this for a while, along with the rather heavy dinner I just had...
Whom did you have for dinner?
Bill Walderman

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Herodotus 4.106

Post by Timothée »

Paul Derouda wrote:What exactly they are can be found in the Budé edition of Herodotus.
On a more serious note: it is one of the great rhymes in the Altertumswissenschaft that we have both Budé's and Hude's editions of Herodotus.