Plato's Meno 80d - question on grammar

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
catomic
Textkit Neophyte

Plato's Meno 80d - question on grammar

Post by catomic »

This is my first time "posting a new topic." The question is on the first sentence of this passage (see subject line for reference):

καὶ τίνα τρόπον ζητήσεις, ὦ Σώκρατες, τοῦτο ὃ μὴ οἶσθα τὸ παράπαν ὅτι ἐστίν; ποῖον γὰρ ὧν οὐκ οἶσθα προθέμενος ζητήσεις; ἢ εἰ καὶ ὅτι μάλιστα ἐντύχοις αὐτῷ, πῶς εἴσῃ ὅτι τοῦτό ἐστιν ὃ σὺ οὐκ ᾔδησθα;

Question: Am I right to think that the verb ζητήσεις is here taking two direct objects, both in the accusative case, namely, τρόπον and τοῦτο? If yes, are there general rules on when a verb can take two direct objects (here perhaps having to do with τίνα)? If no, i.e. at least one of them is not a direct object but something else, what is it?

If it would be easier to send me to reference books, what would be the topic or section I should be looking at? I have Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Grammar and Herber Weir Smyth's Greek Grammar.

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Plato's Meno 80d - question on grammar

Post by polemistes »

I think that τίνα τρόπον should be read as "in which way?" here, so rather adverbially than as an object to ζητήσεις. See point II.2 in LSJ: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=1 ... list-click

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polemistes »

Also, you could read chapter 17, p. 142 in Mastronarde (2nd ed.), about the adverbial accusative.

MarkAntony198337
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MarkAntony198337 »

ἀπόλλυται
Last edited by MarkAntony198337 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

catomic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by catomic »

Thank you both. That was very helpful. (I don't know if this site discourages posts that don't add substance. I trust moderation would let me know if that is the case.)

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

catomic wrote:Thank you both. That was very helpful. (I don't know if this site discourages posts that don't add substance. I trust moderation would let me know if that is the case.)
As in real life, it is amicable to acknowledge the help one has received on Textkit, too, and this is indeed permitted, nay, encouraged.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Timothée wrote:
catomic wrote:Thank you both. That was very helpful. (I don't know if this site discourages posts that don't add substance. I trust moderation would let me know if that is the case.)
As in real life, it is amicable to acknowledge the help one has received on Textkit, too, and this is indeed permitted, nay, encouraged.
Exactly. Common sense and politeness are safe guides. For new users, a short introduction in the Open Board is also recommended.