2 Semesters of Intro Greek: Next Steps?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
WidenWastea
Textkit Neophyte

2 Semesters of Intro Greek: Next Steps?

Post by WidenWastea »

Hey all, this is my first post here. To briefly summarize my situation, I'm finishing up Greek 2 this semester via Luschnig's Intro Book (of which this will be the third mention in all of the textkit fora), but I'm graduating this semester. Although we're not supposed to finish the book in this semester (leaving the Subj/Opt and Sequence of Moods as well as Imperatives and Verbals for Greek 3) my prof said that he'd sit down with me outside of class and work through them with me, so I'm not too worried about getting through the intro grammar. What I am concerned about is what to do next. He suggested I read Xenophon's Anabasis (Mather/Hewitt), which I was all ready to do (and what he teaches in Greek 3 upon finishing the grammar), but then I read the spirited intro to Pharr's Homeric Greek and was convinced: I should start with the Bard. After all, Homer is the reason I even wanted to study Ancient Greek in the first place. So my question is, should I just dive into some of the Steadman Homer commentaries, or should I work my way through one of the intro Books that focuses on Homer first (Pharr, Beetham)? Also, any other general tips on moving from grammar to intermediate level would be welcome.
φάγωμεν καὶ πίωμεν, αὔριον γὰρ ἀποθνήσκομεν
(But don't get it twisted, I'm not here for the Koine but the Homer)

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Re: 2 Semesters of Intro Greek: Next Steps?

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

should I just dive into some of the Steadman Homer commentaries
I am not working in Homer currently but certainly have appreciated Steadman's help with Attic Tragedy. Can't quite understand why Pharr is popular but he is. Just like I can't understand people going with Mounce for NT. When I was doing Homer I found Selections by Allen Rogers Benner (1903) more helpful than Pharr.

Both Benner and Steadman will get you reading fairly painlessly, Benner gives you virtually everything you need in one little book. I found a hard back from the late '30s that was in serviceable condition, cost me the price of a double latte many moons ago.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

WidenWastea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WidenWastea »

Selections by Allen Rogers Benner (1903) more helpful than Pharr
Thanks for the suggestion, I've been reading some reviews on it and I will definitely keep this in mind when it comes time to actually lay down the khremata.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

He suggested I read Xenophon's Anabasis (Mather/Hewitt), which I was all ready to do (and what he teaches in Greek 3 upon finishing the grammar),
If you want to improve your Greek, Xenophon is a better bet than reading Homer. Something shorter than Xenophon would be Lysias 1. As an independent learner what you study should be motivated at least in part by what interests you. Xenophon has long been regarded as a suitable beginners/intermediate text for good reason. The vocabulary isnt huge and he uses many constructions which you will find helpful later on. In reading Homer you will spend a lot of time on vocabulary. Homer's syntax is usually straightforward.

Whatever you choose, reading very regularly, however small an amount, is the key to success.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

Whether to start with Homer or with Attic has been discussed here from time to time. See this thread.

I would say: If you really want to learn Greek and be able to read different classical authors, start with reading a text in Attic. Only if you want to limit yourself to Homer you should start with Homer.

I started with Homer myself. Homeric syntax is simple, simpler than in most other texts. The difficulties are the vocabulary and the irregular inflections with lots of variant forms that come from different dialects; they fit different metrical shapes and allowed the poet to compose metrical poetry more easily. It's the variant forms that are really the problem, if you want to continue your Greek studies later on: once you're comfortable with all the Homeric by-forms, Greek inflections are a mess in your head and you won't be able to tell which form is "regular" and which one is "poetic". This is what happened to me.

On the other hand, life is short. If you find it difficult to motivate yourself into reading texts in Attic, and if the one thing that really interests you is Homer, go for it. Define your goals and act accordingly!

I think Xenophon is easier than either Lysias or Herodotus, though they are not too difficult either.

Personnally, I used Pharr and liked it. It guides you through the first book of the Iliad, a very good place to start reading Homer, and the most logical one if you want to read all of Homer. (A logical goal, if you're really into Homer!) Benner, I think, is bits from here and there.

Take a look at the different books before choosing!

Benner.
Pharr you can find in Textkit's Library section.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Benner, I think, is bits from here and there.
I think he gives you the main story line. Sadly, not the Catalogue of Ships.
Bill Walderman

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Post by donhamiltontx »

If you choose to go with Homer, P A Draper produced a Steadman-like commentary for Book I of The Iliad. Its commentary is not quite as comprehensive as Steadman's work, and it does not offer a 'core vocabulary,' but I found it useful enough and recommend it.

WidenWastea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WidenWastea »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My professor gave me a version of Xenophon's Gynaikologia, as that's what the class will be reading in Greek 3 next semester. I decided to forgo Homer for the moment, and try to make my way through it over the summer.