Menander sentence

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
godingly
Textkit Neophyte

Menander sentence

Post by godingly »

Hey, I'm trying to translate:
Ὠς οὐδὲν ἡ μάθησις, ἄν μὴ νοῦς παρῃ = Learning.... mind is missing. I just don't get how this sentence is structured: where is the subject and where is the object? what is the role of Ὠς οὐδὲν?

Another question - what is the genitive form of μάθησις ?

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Menander sentence

Post by Hylander »

This is a "general" conditional. ἄν (with a subjunctive verb παρῃ, negated by μὴ) is the usual contraction of εαν. εστι is understood as the verb of the apodosis, Ὠς οὐδὲν ἡ μάθησις.

"Learning/knowledge [is] as nothing if mind/intelligence is not present."

Genitive of μάθησις: μαθησεως, acute on η.
Last edited by Hylander on Tue May 03, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Walderman

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

godingly wrote:what is the genitive form of μάθησις ?
Hylander wrote:Genitive of μάθησις: μαθησεως, acute on η.
It's the πόλις/δύναμις declension, or whatever word your grammar uses as an example of paradigm. Dialectally -ις-words are inflected in slight variance; here we are in the Attic.

MarkAntony198337
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MarkAntony198337 »

ἀπόλλυται
Last edited by MarkAntony198337 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I think hylander's version was more idiomatic English. Do we still write be not present as a translation of the subjunctive? It seems to me wholly wrong translate a subjunctive in Greek or any other language with an English subjunctive which has no idiomatic contemporary use. It smacks of pendantry.

Perhaps my current Pisan surroundings are making me a little lax.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Wouldn't νοῦς παρεῖναι mean "to pay attention"?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

jeidsath wrote:Wouldn't νοῦς παρεῖναι mean "to pay attention"?
That would be προσέχειν τὸν νοῦν

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

My aim wasn't to provide a definitive translation, but rather to explain the structure of the sentence and give a general sense of the meaning, with some suggestions as to the range of possible English words that might correspond to μάθησις and νοῦς, so that godingly wouldn't be locked into a specific translation.

This is one of the many pithy little proverbs neatly cast as iambic trimeter one-liners that are found in various ancient anthologies and attributed (almost certainly wrongly) to Menander and others, but mainly to Menander. Beginning Greek texts give these to their students to illustrate various grammatical points because they're good examples of actual, real Greek. I think we looked at one of these not too long ago, maybe this very one. As I recall, mwh took me to task because I suggested it might be from Stobaeus, who actually provides whole passages of Greek verse, preserving parts of many poems by major poets that would otherwise have been lost.

Trite and banal commonplaces like this, wrenched from any context if there ever was a context, aren't exactly profound masterpieces of ancient Greek literature that cry out for elaborate exegesis.
Last edited by Hylander on Wed May 04, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Walderman

MarkAntony198337
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MarkAntony198337 »

ἀπόλλυται
Last edited by MarkAntony198337 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

Hylander wrote:I think we looked at one of these not too long ago, maybe this very one.
Here is the thread Hylander alluded to.