Help locating original text from a Marcus Aurelius quote

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
binky
Textkit Neophyte

Help locating original text from a Marcus Aurelius quote

Post by binky »

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone can help provide the original text for the below quote:
Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it
I apologise for my lack of knowledge, but I thought this was from the Emperor's handbook; when I search for this I get pointed pointed to the Meditations. I have looked at the Meditations English version to find the quote so I could go to a library and look up the section of the book where it is located to find original text, but to no avail. I'm now a bit stuck - does anyone have any pointers where I can find this or know what the original text would be?

Thank you very much for your help

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Help locating original text from a Marcus Aurelius quote

Post by bedwere »

Meditations II, 4

Μέμνησο ἐκ πόσου ταῦτα ἀναβάλλῃ καὶ ὁποσάκις προθεσμίας λαβὼν παρὰ τῶν θεῶν οὐ χρᾷ αὐταῖς. δεῖ δὲ ἤδη ποτὲ αἰσθέσθαι τίνος κόσμου μέρος εἶ καὶ τίνος διοικοῦντος τὸν κόσμον ἀπόῤῥοια ὑπέστης καὶ ὅτι ὅρος ἐστί σοι περιγεγραμμένος τοῦ χρόνου, ᾧ ἐὰν εἰς τὸ ἀπαιθριάσαι μὴ χρήσῃ, οἰχήσεται καὶ οἰχήσῃ καὶ αὖθις οὐκ ἐξέσται.

The translation you quote is from this book.

binky
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help locating original text from a Marcus Aurelius quote

Post by binky »

Hi bedwere,

thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply - much appreciated