Intermediate Greek readers Lucian

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Intermediate Greek readers Lucian

Post by seneca2008 »

Viviparidus and bedwere have produced a Greek comic strip based on Lucian's Dialogues: Promethei et Iovis here. Some found the Greek a bit challenging. I have discovered through a review in the Bryn Mawr Classical Review that Faenum Publishing have produced what looks to be a helpful book: "Evan Hayes, Stephen Nimis, Lucian's Dialogues of the Gods. An Intermediate Greek Reader. Greek text with running vocabulary and commentary."

This can be downloaded as a free pdf here. You can also order a paperback version for $13. Other texts from Lucian are also available, as well as some Galen and Plutarch.

They are obviously not full scale commentaries but some help is better than no help.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Manuel
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Intermediate Greek readers Lucian

Post by Manuel »

I read Lucian's True Stories through the Nimis & Hayes edition. It had a couple mistakes but it was a fun book and surprisingly intelligent. I didn't get most of the philosophical references.

Here is a helpful supplement to the text which includes references to Smyth: http://dcc.dickinson.edu/lucian-true/introduction

MarkAntony198337
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MarkAntony198337 »

ἀπόλλυται
Last edited by MarkAntony198337 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcdavasconcelos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bcdavasconcelos »

Manuel wrote:I read Lucian's True Stories through the Nimis & Hayes edition. It had a couple mistakes but it was a fun book and surprisingly intelligent. I didn't get most of the philosophical references.

Here is a helpful supplement to the text which includes references to Smyth: http://dcc.dickinson.edu/lucian-true/introduction
Thank you. Thats a very useful website.
ζητοῦσι δ' ὅλως οὐ τὸ πάτριον ἀλλὰ τἀγαθὸν πάντες (Pol. II.8 1269a3)

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I enjoy reading Lucian's Dialogues in W.H.D. Rouse's version, along with his notes in (Attic) Greek. He lightly Atticizes Lucian's text, and simplifies some rare words. It is a great deal of fun.

I was reading the Judgement of Paris today and noticed that Rouse edited it to remove Paris' request for the Goddesses to strip, and also removed a few of the racier bits. If you are a purist, the notes themselves remain useful even if you use the Perseus text. Although it may be easier to do a first read of each dialogue in Rouse's text, and then a second read in the Perseus version.

Notes
Dialogues
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Post by akhnaten »

These are good editions, and I think they make for good transition texts for people who learned Koine and are now working their ways through Attic textbook. I was unaware of these PDFs, and had checked out Lucian's A True Story from the local uni a little while back. Thanks for the link.

julflav
Textkit Neophyte

Post by julflav »

I was looking for this book and the notes, could not find it anywhere else: the google books editions have been removed for download.

Then I stumbled upon here. I am really amazed with the work and effort you put in saving such beautiful documents. Really appreciated!