Menge's Greek—German dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Menge's Greek—German dictionary

Post by Timothée »

Has anyone on Textkit experiences of Hermann Menge's Greek—German dictionary? I was hoping to use it with the Middle Liddell, and believe that the scopes of these two lexica are roughly the same. How does it compare with the Middell? I actually just ordered the Menge and am waiting for delivery.

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Menge's Greek—German dictionary

Post by Timothée »

Heute ist das Buch eingetroffen. No-one has commented on my query about the book. It looks very nice, though I have only been skimming it for an hour. It's about the size of the Intermediate LS. My hope is that now and then it will support figuring out the meaning of a word. Should anyone be interested to see an example / some examples, I'll be happy to oblige.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Yes, please post some examples. I have a (very) old German student dictionary, and I really like its format and layout.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

Would you like to suggest, or shall I just choose a word? Shorter or longer entry?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Whatever you think might demonstrate it best. (Imgur is great for screen shot hosting.) I would be especially interested in what it does with verbs, both forms and syntax.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

My telephone camera is quite poor, for which I apologise. Here are a few verbs. I hope I have chosen at least somewhat representative examples.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Here is λαγχάνω from my student dictionary (W. Gemoli). As you can see, it is a summarized version of Menge entry. I'm impressed by the presentation of both. I think putting abs./tr. before each meaning, and making the construction clear is very helpful. The separate presentation of the forms (and in Menge the root) is also nice.

I don't think that my German is good enough to benefit more from Menge than Gemoli, but I may try to find a copy just for the root information. I find that looking up a word that I don't know is much more beneficial to me when I can see how the word is made up or connected to other similar words.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

This looks like it has a good deal of information about forms and usage and verbal complements, but what seems to be missing is attributions to specific authors. For example, is a word, or a particular usage of a word, found in Plato or Demosthenes, or Thucydides, or only in tragedy, or only in koine? The Intermediate Liddell & Scott has this information.
Bill Walderman

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

That's true. Menge will mark the New Testamental peculiarities clearly with a cross, but otherwise it's very sparse on auctores. It follows in part the same principles as the author's Latin-German dictionary (in those times [= early 20th century] one person could compile largish [762 and 813 pages, respectively] and, I'd argue, excellent lexica for both Greek and Latin...). The Latin one marks openly guides for synchronic usage, this one not.

Purchases in hopefully near future will be Güthling's companion volumes for the other direction.