the use of ὅστις chariton 1.2.5

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
daivid
Administrator

the use of ὅστις chariton 1.2.5

Post by daivid »

Ἐπαγγέλλομαι διαλύσειν τὸν γάμον: ἐφοπλιῶ γὰρ αὐτῷ ζηλοτυπίαν, ἥτις σύμμαχον λαβοῦσα τὸν ἔρωτα μέγα τι κακὸν διαπράξεται.’
Most of this is straight forward but I don't see why Chariton used ἥτις rather than plane ἥ. Is it because there is no definite article in front of ζηλοτυπίαν?

Just in case I don't understand the rest as well as I think, here is my translation:
I announce that I will dissolve the marriage, For I will arm against it jealousy which will take an ally desire, a great evil to produce.
λονδον

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: the use of ὅστις chariton 1.2.5

Post by jeidsath »

Sidgwick mentions that ὅς or ὅστις with the future indicative can indicate purpose.

δέομαι ἄλλου τινὸς λόγου ὅς με πείσει. I need another argument to convince me.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

jeidsath is correct--this conveys purpose. But to capture the generalizing function of ἥτις, as opposed to simple ἥ, you might translate "I will arm against it a jealousy such as to to . . . do it a great evil.
Bill Walderman

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

daivid you haven’t quite understood the clause. ἥτις σύμμαχον λαβοῦσα τὸν ἔρωτα μέγα τι κακὸν διαπράξεται lit. “which [or “who”, personifying the armed Ζηλοτυπία] having taken Eros as ally will accomplish a big evil” i.e. “who by taking Eros as her ally will create a huge disaster.” διαπράξεται is the main verb of the relative clause, and the participle λαβοῦσα is subordinate to it: you seem to have misconstrued it.
You might describe Donald Trump as someone ὅστις συμμάχους λαβὼν τοὺς ἀνοήτους μέγα τι κακὸν διαπράξεται.

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polemistes »

mwh wrote: You might describe Donald Trump as someone ὅστις συμμάχους λαβὼν τοὺς ἀνοήτους μέγα τι κακὸν διαπράξεται.
Off topic:This might be the most accurate description of Donald Trump so far. But it is ironic that it's in Ancient Greek so none of his σύμμαχοι will be persuaded to change their alliance.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Hylander wrote:jeidsath is correct--this conveys purpose. But to capture the generalizing function of ἥτις, as opposed to simple ἥ, you might translate "I will arm against it a jealousy such as to to . . . do it a great evil.
That is a fairly subtle distinction that in English we don't usually bother to make so it is no wonder that ὅστις gives me problems. Your help is much appreciated as is that of mwh and jeidsath.
λονδον