"Caecuban" Pronunciation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
FrankBlissett
Textkit Neophyte

"Caecuban" Pronunciation

Post by FrankBlissett »

Hi - I am recording the poems of Isabella Valancy Crawford for my YouTube channel, and will be getting to "The Helot" before long. Most of the Greek words she uses in the poem are familiar to me - with the exception of "Caecuban wine".

I was able to track down where it fits in classical literature, but not pronunciation. Any suggestions? I am especially wondering about hard C versus soft C.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Frank Blissett

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: "Caecuban" Pronunciation

Post by jeidsath »

I think that I can focus your question better, though not answer you myself. You are basically asking "what was the Latin pronunciation of 19th-century Canadians for Caecuban"?

This article attempts to answer the question about Latin in general, though I can't say anything about its quality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradition ... n_of_Latin
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com