H-J Test Exercise Passage Reading Greek Section 1

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

H-J Test Exercise Passage Reading Greek Section 1

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

If someone could check my translation for Test Exercise One H-J in Reading Greek, I'd appreciate it:

On the one hand the ship sails towards the Piraeus. On the other the sailors do not know where the ship is at.
And so they ask the captain where it is. On the one hand the captain says that the ship is near the harbor. On the other hand the rhapsode is suddenly reciting Homer. And it is clear that the man knows many things about Homer. And Dikaiopolis jokes at the rhapsode.

Dikaiopolis: Do you know rhapsodic matters, rhapsode?
Rhapsode: Of course? And I also know about military matters.
Dikaiopolis: What are you saying? For you are a rhapsode and not a general.
Rhapsode: Do you not know that the good rhapsode is also a good general at the same time?
Dikaiopolis: No, I know that you are stupid, rhapsode. For on the one hand you are the best rhapsode of all the Greeks and experienced about Homer. On the other hand you are not experienced about military matters, and you clearly know nothing.

Again I'd appreciate it if someone is able to check this. Thanks!

This is in section one.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: H-J Test Exercise Passage Reading Greek Section 1

Post by swtwentyman »

Consider making a single thread for your questions -- it won't be ignored.

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: H-J Test Exercise Passage Reading Greek Section 1

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

swtwentyman wrote:Consider making a single thread for your questions -- it won't be ignored.
Okay, I will do this so that it doesn't take up a whole topic :lol: