Accusative Singular of μολυβδίς

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Accusative Singular of μολυβδίς

Post by Archimedes »

What would the accusative singular of μολυβδ-ίς , ίδος, ἡ, be? The nominative singular is used in Polybius 27.11. 6 to describe the way a dart was cast out of a sling like a lead sling bullet. Thanks!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Accusative Singular of μολυβδίς

Post by bedwere »

Do you know the third declension for names ending in consonants?

Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archimedes »

My textbook's discussion of third declension nouns gave the rule as dropping the omicron sigma ending from the genitive singular to get the root and then appending an alpha to get the accusative singular. The result looked and sounded a little funny, though, and I couldn't pull it up on the Perseus Tufts parser, so I thought I might be dealing with an irregular form or something.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

If you don't form the form in the Perseus parser, you may want to try Lexigram.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

But better just to learn the 3rd declension. Given genitive in –ίδος, it’s very easy to form the other cases—even if they’re not actually attested. There's nothing irregular about any such nouns, which are numerous.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.