Do you speak Attic?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Do you speak Attic?

Post by jeidsath »

I've transcribed about half of "Sprechen Sie Attisch?" over the past few days, and will translate as I can. My German is certainly not up to the task -- especially in the all-German sections -- but I will post everything here for critique. Hopefully I will be able to publish it later on, because the book is very useful, and should be made available to a wider audience. Translation critiques and pointing out transcription errors are all appreciated.
Sprechen Sie Attisch?

Moderne Konversation
in altgriechischer Umgangssprache
nach den besten attischen Autoren
von
Dr. phil. E. Joannides.

-- Ridentem discere Graeca
Quid vetat? --

Zweite Auflage

Dresden und Leipzig, 1902.
C. A. Kochs Verlagsbuchhandlung
(H. Ehiers).
Do you speak Attic?

Modern conversation in colloquial ancient Greek from the best Attic authors.
by
E. Joannides, PhD

-- What prevents one from learning Greek while he laughs? --

Second Edition
Die zweite Auflage

gibt manche Zusätze zu der ersten, auch hier und da, wo es wünschenswert schien, Belegstellen für die verwendeten griechischen Worte. Die Wünsche, die in einzelnen der zahlreichen wohlwollenden Besprechungen des so freundlich aufgenommenen anspruchslosen Büchleins geäußert worden find, hat der Verfasser nach Möglichkeit berücksichtigt, die deutschen Ausdrücke in dem Abschnitt "Ein Grand" zu mildern aber Bedenken getragen: der deutsche Wortlaut ist hier den Münchener "Fliegenden Blättern" gerade zu dem Zwecke ungeändert entnommen, um zu zeigen, dass man mit dem kleinen Wortschatze der attischen Umgangssprache auch auf dem scheinbar schwierigsten Boden recht wohl auskommen kann.
Dass das Büchlein Leser voraussetzt, die sich mindestens mit der griechischen Formenlehre bereits vertraut gemacht haben, brauchte wohl nicht besonders gesagt zu werden.

Blauen, Ende 1901.

Dr. J.
The second edition

...gives many additions to the first, and also here and there, where it seemed desirable, cites sources for the Greek words used. The wishes, so friendlily expressed in various pleasant conversations about his unpretentious little book, the author has considered as far as possible; but he had doubts that the German expressions in the section "A Million" were too mild. The German expressions there are taken directly from the Munich magazine "Loose Sheets,"* for the following purpose: to show that with just a small vocabulary of colloquial Attic, a man can do quite well even on what seems the most difficult soil.
That the book requires readers who have already at least become familiar with the Greek word forms, need not be said.

* "A non-political humor and satire magazine appearing between 1845 and 1944 in Munich." Wikipedia.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Do you speak Attic?

Post by bedwere »

Joel,
Louis Sorenson has an incomplete, slightly adapted, translation you might find useful.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Yes, I emailed him a long time ago about extending his project but never heard back. I was planning to concentrate on what he hasn't done first -- the introductory notes, which are fairly useful, and the final sections. However, I don't think that I'll have too much difficulty with translating the German/Greek sections. That said, I'm sure that Conrad's translation (and corrections to Johnson's text) are much better than mine. Maybe I could contact him directly.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jeidsath wrote:Yes, I emailed him a long time ago about extending his project but never heard back. I was planning to concentrate on what he hasn't done first -- the introductory notes, which are fairly useful, and the final sections. However, I don't think that I'll have too much difficulty with translating the German/Greek sections. That said, I'm sure that Conrad's translation (and corrections to Johnson's text) are much better than mine. Maybe I could contact him directly.
You can certainly contact Carl on B-Greek. Additionally, I have a copy of the file that they were once working on compiling on Google Docs, and I can also send you a link to it if you wish. I'd give you editing permission, and you can add to and take away what you see as fitting.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Thank you, I've reached out to him on the other board.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jeidsath wrote:Thank you, I've reached out to him on the other board.
Excellent. However, that doesn't answer the second question. Are you interested in having access to the Google Doc sheet that they were working on? I would love to see that document better developed and cleaned up. The formatting is a mess.

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Post by Σαυλος »

Don't know if this helps you at all, but about 3 years back, I was working on a Koine Phrasebook.
Open editing here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Post by Σαυλος »

I found a newer version of that file. The previously linked file is deleted.
Ancient Greek Phrasebook

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AoFTR ... _be6TxJPhQ
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...

Laurentius Mons
Textkit Member

Post by Laurentius Mons »

I don't really know much Greek, but I am from Germany, so I'd like to add my thoughts:

I don't think that "but he had doubts that the German expressions in the section "A Million" were too mild"
is a good translation of "hat ... die deutschen Ausdrücke in dem Abschnitt "Ein Grand" zu mildern aber Bedenken getragen".

The way I understand the sentence, the author wants to say that he does not fully agree with some his critics that the expressions in that section should be made any "weaker" (easier? I don't know the context, so I'm not sure what exactly he means by "mildern" here.). So the critics don't think that the expressions are too mild, as your translation suggests, but that they are not mild enough.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

EDIT: Sorry, I see what you are saying now. I'll change my translation.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Notice that at p. 25 it should be corrected as

τί δέ, ἐπιδόσεις λαμβάνεις;