Strabo's Geography 1.1.1

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mahasacham
Textkit Member

Strabo's Geography 1.1.1

Post by mahasacham »

I had a question about Strabo's geography in the first paragraph of the first book (1.1.1).

There is a line at the end of the paragraph that contains the phrase "τὸν αὐτὸν ὑπογράφει ἄνδρα, τὸν φροντίζοντα τῆς περὶ τὸν βίον τέχνης καὶ εὐδαιμονίας."

The full sentence:
ὡς δ᾽ αὕτως καὶ ἡ ὠφέλεια ποικίλη τις οὖσα, ἡ μὲν πρὸς τὰ πολιτικὰ καὶ τὰς ἡγεμονικὰς πράξεις, ἡ δὲ πρὸς ἐπιστήμην τῶν τε οὐρανίων καὶ τῶν ἐπὶ γῆς καὶ θαλάττης ζῴων καὶ φυτῶν καὶ καρπῶν καὶ τῶν ἄλλων ὅσα ἰδεῖν παρ᾽ ἑκάστοις ἔστι, τὸν αὐτὸν ὑπογράφει ἄνδρα, τὸν φροντίζοντα τῆς περὶ τὸν βίον τέχνης καὶ εὐδαιμονίας.

I am unsure if the "τὸν αὐτὸν" is an accusative adverb ("In the same manner") or is supposed to go with "ἄνδρα" ("the same man")

Also the LSJ seems to define "ὑπογράφει" as basically meaning to add text to something or to underline something. What do you all suppose its specific meaning is in this context. Also is the subject of the sentence "ἡ ὠφέλεια ποικίλη τις οὖσα" or is the subject the overarching theme of geography?

My Translation:
τὸν αὐτὸν ὑπογράφει ἄνδρα
In the same way it (profitability/geography??) describes man.

If anyone want to give a more literal translation a shot I would be all ears as the translations available are too loose for me to coax the meaning out of the "τὸν αὐτὸν ὑπογράφει" part of the sentence.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Strabo's Geography 1.1.1

Post by bedwere »

I bet 10 talents it goes with ἄνδρα.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

"τὸν αὐτὸν ὑπογράφει ἄνδρα, τὸν φροντίζοντα τῆς περὶ τὸν βίον τέχνης καὶ εὐδαιμονίας."

Just a guess:

...the same it underlines to a man, the consideration of the art concerning life and of happiness.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

How about

..describes the same man, who is concerned with etc.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Yes, I was just about to edit my post to take your advice.

the beneficial ... traces out to the same man who is concerned with both the science of living and with happiness

But I'm not sure how to take take "ὡς δ᾽ αὕτως." Does it just me "in the same way" here. Why the breathing?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

I am not sure I understand what is meant by "Something that is beneficial in various ways" describing a man who has a concern for the good life.

Does Strabo mean that profitability varies in regard to the sciences just as it does in regard to a man who is concerned with the good life?

Almost as if to say "Dont get your hopes up in studying this geography stuff in the same way you should not get your hopes up in regard to chasing after the good life"......Or am I missing the point here?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Maybe τὸν φροντίζοντα is the first object and τὸν αὐτὸν ἄνδρα the second?

In the same way, the benefit [of geography] being something varied, both in regards to politics and the matters of government, and also in regards to the knowledge of the heavens and of the beasts of earth and ocean, and plants, and harvests, and of whatever else there is to know which each, the benefit [of geography] underlines to the same man his thinking about both art and happiness as regards life.

EDIT:

I'm still not satisfied with the above. Respecting the Greek a bit more. I think that ὑπογράφει must mean something like "guide" here.

In the same way, the benefit [of geography] being something varied, both in regards to politics and the matters of government, and also in regards to the knowledge of the heavens and of the beasts of earth and ocean, and plants, and harvests, and of whatever else there is to know which each, the benefit [of geography] draws the guideline for the same man who thinks about both technique and happiness as regards life.