Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics 1094b

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mahasacham
Textkit Member

Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics 1094b

Post by mahasacham »

I have been slowly making my way through Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and I came across a sentence in the first book that seems to contain some philosophical idioms that Aristotle is apparently known to employ.
Are there any resources available online that detail Aristotle's philosophical idioms. I found a few books that seem to address Greek philosophical terms in general on amazon but they seems to just cover basic vocabulary terms. I am looking for something along the lines that describes the actual idioms that are employed particularly in Aristotle such as these idioms contained in the following sentence.

ἀγαπητὸν οὖν περὶ τοιούτων καὶ ἐκ τοιούτων λέγοντας παχυλῶς καὶ τύπῳ τἀληθὲς ἐνδείκνυσθαι, καὶ περὶ τῶν ὡς ἐπὶ τὸ πολὺ καὶ ἐκ τοιούτων λέγοντας τοιαῦτα καὶ συμπεραίνεσθαι.
1. περὶ τοιούτων = Subjects
2. ἐκ τοιούτων = Premises

We must therefore be content if, in dealing with subjects and starting from premises thus uncertain, we succeed in presenting a broad outline of the truth: when our subjects and our premises are merely generalities, it is enough if we arrive at generally valid conclusions.

Is this a correct interpretation of these two idioms?

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Re: Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics 1094b

Post by mahasacham »

I found this short list of some terms that Aristotle employs in his writings. Unfortunately the phrase in question (περὶ τοιούτων, ἐκ τοιούτων) is not attested in the list.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

Found this great commentary on aristotle's nicomachean ethics.

https://books.google.com/books?id=77ENA ... n%20burnet

markscala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by markscala »

If you can get your hands on it, this edition by Irwin and Fine has an useful glossary for Philosophical terms that maps their translations to Greek words and idioms, and contains extensive useful explanations of (their understanding) of Aristotle's usage.

https://www.amazon.com/Aristotle-Select ... =aristotle