Perfect Deponent Koine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Perfect Deponent Koine

Post by erik550c »

Hello, I have learned all tenses of biblical Koine Greek, but my text book kind of confused me recently regarding deponents. How can I tell if a Perfect is deponent (I realize it should be the same way across all tenses), because when I see the principal parts the Perfect middle/passive is always with a primary middle/passive personal ending and thus it always looks deponent to me? How should I translate deponent Perfects?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Perfect Deponent Koine

Post by bedwere »

I am not sure I understand your question, but here it is. If you have to look at the context first. If there is a ὕπο + genitive or a dative dependent from the perfect, than it is passive. Otherwise it's likely deponent.

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

bedwere wrote:I am not sure I understand your question, but here it is. If you have to look at the context first. If there is a ὕπο + genitive or a dative dependent from the perfect, than it is passive. Otherwise it's likely deponent.
I'm still having trouble. I just need to know besides from context, when a perfect is deponent. I know the lexical form is deponent if it is listed as middle/passive, and that a deponent in the present may not be deponent in the future or aorist, etc... So how do I tell if a perfect is deponent? I hope this makes sense. This is a beginner question, and I admit I'm not yet through with a first year textbook.

Erik

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

You can look up the principal parts for your verb. Verbs that have a deponent present and an active aorist are generally defective (like ἁλίσκομαι, ἔρχομαι). πέρδομαι is the only exception to this that I can find, with perfect πέπορδα. A useful verb, you have to admit.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

jeidsath wrote:You can look up the principal parts for your verb. Verbs that have a deponent present and an active aorist are generally defective (like ἁλίσκομαι, ἔρχομαι). πέρδομαι is the only exception to this that I can find, with perfect πέπορδα. A useful verb, you have to admit.
πέρδομαι!! Looks like "pardon me."