Miscellaneous Koine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Miscellaneous Koine

Post by erik550c »

I have a few miscellaneous questions concerning biblical Koine Greek. When should I be using λέγω vs. λαλέω? Also, where can I find the paradigm for εἶπα?

I have had some odds and ends that I skipped to keep a faster pace at learning. Is it worth it to learn the paradigm for οἶδα and ἤδειν and ἔγνων?

My biblical Greek text is primarily teaching me to read Koine. I want to reinforce my mind by writing and speaking Koine. I can read fast, but I can't create sentences quickly. I have not seen a Koine workbook with writing curriculum. Anyone know?

What is the key for memorizing words that all look and mean similar things? I have 40 words I am resistant to memorize because they are short non-descript words.

Thanks!

daivid
Administrator

Re: Miscellaneous Koine

Post by daivid »

erik550c wrote:
What is the key for memorizing words that all look and mean similar things? I have 40 words I am resistant to memorize because they are short non-descript words.
Try memorizing the word as part of a phrase or sentence rather than in isolation.
λονδον

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

erik550c wrote:When should I be using λέγω vs. λαλέω?
Read carefully through their entries on the LSJ:

λέγω
λαλέω

For Koine usage especially, notice the note at λαλέω A3.
erik550c wrote:Also, where can I find the paradigm for εἶπα?
First look here. Notice the active aorist indicative. That's the "normal" paradigm. The LSJ states this in the εἶπον entry:
the present in use is φημί, λέγω...the future ἐρέω, ἐρῶ, the perfect εἴρηκα
For εἶπα specifically, see this usage note:
also aor. 1 εἶπα (“ἔειπα” Emp.17.15, Theoc.22.153), ὅπερ εἶπα as I said, Satyr.Vit.Eur.Fr.39xvii 14, mostly in Ion. Prose, also Men. Pk.128, Herod.3.26, UPZ62.14 (ii B. C.), and the 2nd persons ind. and imper. of this form are preferred in Att., 2sg. ind. “εἶπας” Il.1.106, 108, etc.; imper. εἶπον (on the accent v. Hdn.Gr.1.460) Simon.154, Pl.Men.71d, Men.891, Theoc.14.11, εἰπάτω (“ἀν-ειπάτω” IG22.1186.19 (iv B.C.), but ἀν-ειπέτω ib.1247.13 (iii B.C.)), -ατον, -ατε; 3pl. “εἶπαν” SIG 333.3 (Samos, iv B.C.), later “εἴπασαν” IG7.2225.51 (Thisbe); part. “εἴπας” Philem.42, Aeol. “εἴπαις” Pi.O.8.46, cf. Ael.Dion.Fr.156; in compds. Med. ἀπείπασθαι (q.v.), διείπασθαι (q.v.), but never in good Att.: (redupl. aor. 2 from ϝεπ- 'say'; ϝείπην only cj. in Alc.55, Sapph. 28.2; “ϝεῖπαι” Leg.Gort.8.15; with ἔ-(ϝ)ειπον cf. Skt. avocam, redupl. aor. of vac- 'say'; cf. ἔπος):
erik550c wrote:I have had some odds and ends that I skipped to keep a faster pace at learning. Is it worth it to learn the paradigm for οἶδα and ἤδειν and ἔγνων?
Eventually. But it can be smart to go as you are doing, and pick the low hanging fruit first. If you try to learn too many similar forms at once, you may find yourself taking more time to learn them than if you had concentrated on what was easy for you, built a foundation, and then gone back and picked up what you missed in review.

The best way to learn paradigms is to review from sentences (in Anki, or wherever) rather than paradigm charts. I'm beginning to believe that paradigm charts should be banished from the classroom except for review. These words need to be glimpsed in their natural habitat before being pinned as specimens.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

erik550c wrote:What is the key for memorizing words that all look and mean similar things?
Repetitive, active use.
erik550c wrote: I want to reinforce my mind by writing and speaking Koine. I can read fast, but I can't create sentences quickly. I have not seen a Koine workbook with writing curriculum. Anyone know?
Christophe Rico, Polis, either edition.
erik550c wrote:When should I be using λέγω vs. λαλέω?
λέγει Μᾶρκος ὅτι δεῖ καθ' ἡμέραν Ἑλληνιστὶ λαλεῖν.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

Thanks for the helpful responses!