No subject? Koine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

No subject? Koine

Post by erik550c »

I just saw this phrase in one of my textbooks. Is it correct? It is one of the only times I have seen a construction without a subject expressed or implied within a noun, participle, adjective or verb. I suppose God here is implied, but the case doesn't match.

θεὸν τὸν γενν́ησαντά σε.
God, the one who bore you.

Thanks!
Last edited by erik550c on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: No subject? Koine

Post by anphph »

Something is missing, maybe in the previous sentence.

Maybe something like

τίνα τιμᾷς;
θεὸν τὸν γενν́ησαντά σε.

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

anphph wrote:Something is missing, maybe in the previous sentence.

Maybe something like

τίνα τιμᾷς;
θεὸν τὸν γενν́ησαντά σε.
Okay, I'll check it out if I can find it again. Thanks.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

It's actually from Deuteronomy 32:18:

θεὸν τὸν γεννήσαντά σε ἐγκατέλιπες
καὶ ἐπελάθου θεοῦ τοῦ τρέφοντός σε.

As presented in Erik's text, I believe it is an error. While the above punctuation is from my print copy of Rahlfs, electronic editions incorrectly add a period after the first line. The textbook author apparently did not catch the error and used it as an example. Which is bizarre to me because the typo is very obvious.

Which textbook is it, Erik?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

jeidsath wrote:It's actually from Deuteronomy 32:18:

θεὸν τὸν γεννήσαντά σε ἐγκατέλιπες
καὶ ἐπελάθου θεοῦ τοῦ τρέφοντός σε.

As presented in Erik's text, I believe it is an error. While the above punctuation is from my print copy of Rahlfs, electronic editions incorrectly add a period after the first line. The textbook author apparently did not catch the error and used it as an example. Which is bizarre to me because the typo is very obvious.

Which textbook is it, Erik?
I see. The textbook is one of the best books I've ever learned from. It is Basics of Biblical Greek by Dr. Bill (William) Mounce. I think it was in the companion workbook, one of the exercises. I'm fairly certain there was nothing preceding the sentence with the mistake which would have modified the sentence. I have only noticed 2-3 mistakes in both the textbook and workbook. However, I went through James Found, Basic Greek in 30 Minutes a Day, and I found over 11+ mistakes. These are just what I caught, could be more. Both are good books, the former being a more complete academic study.

How did you search to find it in the LXX (Rahlfs, right)?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I used Google. The version with the bad punctuation is the Tyndale STEP Bible.

Mounce has the exercise up here. In that context it actually looks fine, as a number of those exercises are not complete sentences, and he does not include a period at the end.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

jeidsath wrote:I used Google. The version with the bad punctuation is the Tyndale STEP Bible.

Mounce has the exercise up here. In that context it actually looks fine, as a number of those exercises are not complete sentences, and he does not include a period at the end.
My mistake, his exercises are excerpts. Explains why.