Athenaze Italian Edition and Le Grec Ancien sans Peine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Athenaze Italian Edition and Le Grec Ancien sans Peine

Post by Ursinus »

Two questions. First, would not knowing Italian really hinder me in using the Italian Athenaze? I already have the corresponding (American) English edition and have already gone through a lot of the grammar in both books (had three semesters of instruction in Greek and read a little Xenophon). Is there extra compressible input in the Italian book?

Similar query for Assimil. I want some good audio, but don't speak French. If I know Greek well enough to translate it into English, could this be a good resource if only for the audio. Also, where can you buy this for a reasonable price? (perhaps you can't!)
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Athenaze Italian Edition and Le Grec Ancien sans Peine

Post by rmedinap »

Do not worry about the Italian, the important notes on the text are basically the same as those in English (but the Italian version has much more text than the English version). Take a look yourself to the demo version (the first 70 pages) and decide if it's for you.

I've written a lot about the Athenaze in several posts (here, here and here), maybe you can find some comments of interest to you.

I'm actually sceptic about the Assimil audio, but I suppose that it can't hurt to have it, though I don't really know where you could get it at a reasonable price.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Athenaze Italian Edition and Le Grec Ancien sans Peine

Post by Ursinus »

Thanks! I appreciate the info. Also, interesting is the grammar by that German fellow you mentioned.

Do you think there are any good audios (reconstructed Attic) for Athenaze? Unfortunately, OUP hates to sell the audio they have to non-instructors.
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus