Any Native Greek Speakers?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Any Native Greek Speakers?

Post by Ursinus »

First, are there any of you here that are native Greek speakers that also know Attic Greek? If so, do you use modern Greek to pronounce it?

Alternatively, are there any here that either know modern Greek or at least use modern Greek pronunciation.

The reason I ask is that when I start up in earnest learning Greek again I'm thinking of continuing to use the modern Greek pronunciation-- for several reasons. But, as with Latin, it is nice to converse in the tongue to improve in the language; most people who do this, however, use Erasmian or restored pronunciation. It would be nice to have a language partner or at least someone who could critique my pronunciation for me.
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Any Native Greek Speakers?

Post by rmedinap »

Ursinus wrote:First, are there any of you here that are native Greek speakers that also know Attic Greek? If so, do you use modern Greek to pronounce it?
I'm no native Greek, but for several reasons, tradition, accuracy and lack of interest in linguistic debates being the most important; I learned Ancient Greek using the modern pronunciation (or itacist) and is the one I normally use (Just like I use the German, or occasionally the Italian pronunciation for Latin). I'd be happy to help anyway I can.

A good way to star would be to hear the pronunciation (like, in a YouTube video) and learn it first by heart.

Here, and here you'll find some useful materials.

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Any Native Greek Speakers?

Post by demetri »

Ursinus,

While technically not Attic any Greek Orthodox church liturgy should afford you plenty of modern pronunciation.