Labial, Palatal Mute Stem Consonant Declension

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
malolosgreencat
Textkit Member

Labial, Palatal Mute Stem Consonant Declension

Post by malolosgreencat »

Uh, a question in regards to Lesson 25 of "First Greek Book"

http://daedalus.umkc.edu/FirstGreekBook/JWW_FGB25.html

In here, I noticed that all the paradigms are only showing examples of feminine and masculine genders...what I think must be feminine and masculine because of the case endings in the examples.

My question is, in case of a neuter noun am I to assume that I am to do the same thing I should do with the feminine and masculine nouns, except with different case endings and the distinct exception of the neuter singular nominative, neuter singular accusative and neuter singular vocative, which all have no case endings?

Or is there still something else lying in trap for me to blunder on as a mistake?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Labial, Palatal Mute Stem Consonant Declension

Post by jeidsath »

Sections 239, 240, 241 of you book really apply to consonant stems in general. You'll be quizzed on that information in the next page also, and you will see neuters there.

However, for "Labial And Palatal Mute Stems" there are no neuter examples (sections 242-246 in your book). See Smyth 255.3.N: "No stem ending in π, β, φ or κ, γ, χ is neuter."

I emailed the person who created the website about the earlier errors, but he tells me that he does not have time or funding to correct them just now.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com