Ancient Greek Online Classes

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
deofago
Textkit Neophyte

Ancient Greek Online Classes

Post by deofago »

Hi!

So, I have the crazy idea that one can study Ancient Philology and at the same work teaching these languages. I've been doing it for some time now, either in face-to-face classes or online. Right now I study in Germany but I'm having a hard time finding students who want to learn with active methods (like the ones used in Polis, Vivarium Novum, Paidea Institute, etc), Germans really love their traditional grammar method (though most of them can hardly read). So, yes, I decided to look for students on the internet. If you want to see samples of my online classes, check out the following links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXAeA6trMA&t=260s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQHCNPn1V4o&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4xgzhOrlgE&t=540s

And here's the link to the website where I teach:

https://www.classgap.com/me/rogelio-toledo-martin

ἔρρωσθε!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ancient Greek Online Classes

Post by Markos »

ἐν ταύταις ταῖς κινηματογραφαῖς εὐδόκησα. ἐλπίζω δ' ὅτι Ἑλληνιστὶ ἡμῖν γράψεις. ἔρρωσο.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

thornsbreak
Textkit Neophyte

Post by thornsbreak »

Really well done! That's a course I would love to take. I've watched some of your videos before and follow your channel on youtube. I really appreciate your fluid speech. Did you acquire all that from Polis? How long did you study there?

Also, I want to commend your easily understood pronunciation. If I'm not mistaken, you've begun observing long vowels and pitch accents for a more restored classical pronunciation-- am I right? How did you learn this? If I'm not mistaken, these are not taught in Polis. However, I'd like to learn them myself for the sake of being able to read poetry. And your delivery sounds far more natural to my ears than most other restored classical pronunciation I've heard, including Assimil (or at least several of the speakers on it, who just sound like weird alien robots sometimes)
μέγας ὁ θεός· καλὸς ὁ ζῦθος· μαίνεται ὁ δῆμος.

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

Please also see:

CiceroAntonius and TheDidaskalon on youtube. They go over Athenaze Books I and starting book II. He uses the restored pronunciation and pronounces the iota subscribed as in Ancient times.

I believe he will be running an active course next summer 2018 in Turkey at two ancient sites for about 7-10 days speaking Ancient Greek (as much as they can) and listening to students do the same at Assos, Turkey near Troy and Hierapolis, near Pamukkale, Turkey and Aphrodisias. They will discuss speaking, reading, philosophy, and learn from a guest lecturer about some predetermined subject in ancient history. See TheDidaskalon on youtube for updates on this or thedidaskalon@icloud.com
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

See:

https://thedidaskalon.wordpress.com/the ... on-school/

For speaking Ancient Greek in Ancient Greece next summer 2018.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.

deofago
Textkit Neophyte

Post by deofago »

thornsbreak wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:37 pm Really well done! That's a course I would love to take. I've watched some of your videos before and follow your channel on youtube. I really appreciate your fluid speech. Did you acquire all that from Polis? How long did you study there?

Also, I want to commend your easily understood pronunciation. If I'm not mistaken, you've begun observing long vowels and pitch accents for a more restored classical pronunciation-- am I right? How did you learn this? If I'm not mistaken, these are not taught in Polis. However, I'd like to learn them myself for the sake of being able to read poetry. And your delivery sounds far more natural to my ears than most other restored classical pronunciation I've heard, including Assimil (or at least several of the speakers on it, who just sound like weird alien robots sometimes)

Hi! I'm very sorry for the very late response. I subscribed to I don't know how many groups a couple of years ago, but then I forgot the passwords.

I learned a lot at Polis Institute, but I acquired fluency mostly by teaching first in my mom's living room in Mexico and then either teaching online or teaching in different schools. Bottom line, you don´t need a school to acquire fluency, you just need someone you can practice with.

I've been doing my own experiments on long vowels and pitch accents. I read a couple of books about it and that was it (Allen's vox Graeca and another one whose name I already forgot).

This year we're organizing a summer school in Poland. We're going to read prose authors and also poetry, everything in Greek, not a word in any other language. You should come!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

deofago wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 am This year we're organizing a summer school in Poland. We're going to read prose authors and also poetry, everything in Greek, not a word in any other language. You should come!
Once it is finalized, do post the announcement on the Open Board!

deofago
Textkit Neophyte

Post by deofago »

bedwere wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:50 pm
deofago wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 am This year we're organizing a summer school in Poland. We're going to read prose authors and also poetry, everything in Greek, not a word in any other language. You should come!
Once it is finalized, do post the announcement on the Open Board!

will do! It would be great if you could come too!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Hopefully one day.