Definition of terms in Perseus

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
karyon
Textkit Neophyte

Definition of terms in Perseus

Post by karyon »

I have been using Perseus mainly to check on alternates for the verb forms when my first guess does not fit.

In the process I have been coming across terms such as n_infix, unasp_preverb and a number of others which are self-explanatory but sometimes not.

Does anyone know if Perseus explains these anywhere, all my searches lead back to a word with the term attached, ie round in circles!

Any suggestions?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Definition of terms in Perseus

Post by jeidsath »

As far as I know, the source code is the only documentation:

https://github.com/PerseusDL/morpheus/b ... rphflags.h
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

karyon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by karyon »

That looks like a start, I may not have been clear about the issue.
For instance I look up διεξέπεσε
and this is shown:-

διεξέπεσε verb 3rd sg aor ind act attic epic doric ionic aeolic
parad_form prose syll_augment unaugmented unasp_preverb

The last line is telling me something about the word using some shortcuts, I'm assuming the last piece means unaspirated preverb, I now try searching for this term and nothing meaningful comes up.

I'm expecting Perseus to explain somewhere the meaning of these descriptor terms they are using - am I wrong in assuming this?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Perseus doesn’t know any more than we do. Those terms come out of that very old C code that I linked to in my first post. The programmer of the parser never wrote descriptions or comments for them, so far as I know. So the only way to figure out what he means is to make educated guesses (or read the code).
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

karyon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by karyon »

Apologies if I continue with this but Perseus, very helpful on one level, is unclear about this.
I thought that every listed word was defined manually and meant something.
This code business -- does that mean that a computer defined the words to given parameters?
If so, that's pretty impressive -- if it's correct.

k.