Aristophanes' Wasps, line 260-1 translation?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Aristophanes' Wasps, line 260-1 translation?

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

κοὐκ ἔσθ᾽ ὅπως οὐχ ἡμερῶν τεττάρων τὸ πλεῖστον
ὕδωρ ἀναγκαίως ἔχει τὸν θεὸν ποιῆσαι.

I'm having trouble with translating the above because there are quite a few constructions going on.

Here is my attempt at a literal translation of the above:

There is no way in which (κοὐκ ἔσθ᾽ ὅπως), within four days at most, it must not be so (οὐχ ...ἀναγκαίως ἔχει) that the god will produce water (ie make it rain).

With the ποιησαι it makes most sense to translate it as a future ('will produce'). In one commentary I read it said ἀναγκαίως ἔχει + acc/infin stands in for the expected future - I think my literal translation captures this?

Here's my more idomatic translation:

There is no doubt that, within four days at most, the god is bound to produce water/make it rain.

^Are both my translations (literal and idiomatic) correct?

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Aristophanes' Wasps, line 260-1 translation?

Post by Hylander »

Your translations are correct. The two negatives might seem somewhat confusing, but both are idioms that would be readily understood.
Bill Walderman

Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Aristophanes' Wasps, line 260-1 translation?

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

Hylander wrote:Your translations are correct. The two negatives might seem somewhat confusing, but both are idioms that would be readily understood.
Thank you! :)