Why is τί interrogative? Aristophanes' Wasps.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Why is τί interrogative? Aristophanes' Wasps.

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

There are two instances in the play so far where I can't explain why the interrogative τί is used.

First, lines 270-2:
ἀλλά μοι δοκεῖ στάντας ἐνθάδ᾽ ὦνδρες
ᾁδοντας αὐτὸν ἐκκαλεῖν, ἤν τί πως ἀκούσας
τοὐμοῦ μέλους ὑφ᾽ ἡδονῆς ἑρπύσῃ θύραζε.

Here's my trans:
But I think, men, that, standing here, we should call him out by singing, in the hope that, after somehow hearing something of my song, he hobbles out of the door on account of his delight.

^I'm not sure why τι wasn't used instead?

Second, lines 291-2:
ἐθελήσεις τί μοι οὖν ὦ
πάτερ, ἤν σού τι δεηθῶ;

I can only think for the second one that it's interrogative because he's asking 'What will you be willing (to give) to me, therefore, father, if I ask for something from you' (rather than the more common translation I've come across which is 'will you be willing to give me something, father, if I ask for it?' - because I think in this case, unless I'm mistaken, it would have to be τι not τί ?)

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Why is τί interrogative? Aristophanes' Wasps.

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

In both cases, τι is followed by an enclitic, which shifts the accent to the preceding word. These are therefore the indefinite use, as your instinct correctly led you to understand.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...