T. K. Arnold's Greek Ollendorff translation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chirpis
Textkit Neophyte

T. K. Arnold's Greek Ollendorff translation

Post by chirpis »

I have a copy of Kendrick's "Greek Ollendorff", and it seems very good, but Evan der Millner of Latinum mentions an unpublished full translation of Ollendorff for Ancient Greek:
Thomas Kerchever Arnold, M.A. apparently made a full translation of Ollendorff's text into Ancient Greek, but did not publish it. If this manuscript could be located, that would be amazing.
Has anyone else heard of this? I haven't found any other source mentioning it. I imagine it would be really hard to hunt down, but surely it's out there somewhere, unless it was destroyed.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: T. K. Arnold's Greek Ollendorff translation

Post by Markos »

χαῖρε.
chirpis wrote:I imagine it would be really hard to hunt down, but surely it's out there somewhere, unless it was destroyed.
It sounds to me like you are volunteering. :D I suppose his personal papers are in a library somewhere . The other thing is to see if his descendants have any sort of Facebook page.

Along with Evan, I would love to see a Greek Greek Ollendorff. First step might be to put Jeidsath, who is really good at tracking stuff like this down, on it.

I take it you saw Evan's link to this, which is a different animal:

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =2&t=68104

ἔρρωσο.

chirpis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: T. K. Arnold's Greek Ollendorff translation

Post by chirpis »

Markos wrote:It sounds to me like you are volunteering. :D I suppose his personal papers are in a library somewhere . The other thing is to see if his descendants have any sort of Facebook page.
Along with Evan, I would love to see a Greek Greek Ollendorff. First step might be to put Jeidsath, who is really good at tracking stuff like this down, on it.
I was hoping somewhere here would be good at this sort of thing. I'm definitely willing to attempt myself, as well.
Markos wrote:I take it you saw Evan's link to this, which is a different animal:

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =2&t=68104
Yes, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm afraid I might confuse myself. :lol: