abbreviation for "fragment"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
helios523
Textkit Neophyte

abbreviation for "fragment"

Post by helios523 »

Greetings,

Apologies in advance for the rudimentary question. I've noticed different scholars using "fr." and "F" as abbreviations for fragments. Are there conventions for which to use for which ancient authors/types of fragments, or is it a matter of picking one and staying consistent? In the case of "F" how do you make it plural (for "fr." I've seen "frr.")?

Many thanks for shedding light!

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: abbreviation for "fragment"

Post by mwh »

fr. is standard, plural frr. It’s usual but unnecessary to leave a letter-space between fr. and the numeral.

F (no plural) is used only when citing editions that use it, if then.

helios523
Textkit Neophyte

Post by helios523 »

Thank you!

I understand that fr. and frr. are standard, but I'm still not entirely sure when to use F or why some scholars choose to use F instead of fr.

For instance, it seems that the FGrHist consistently uses F, never fr. So when I reference a fragment that I found in FGrHist do I need to use F instead of fr. when I refer to the fragment?

Thanks again!

helios523
Textkit Neophyte

Post by helios523 »

A quick follow up:
For Diels-Kranz it seems like fragments are never referred to with fr. or F, but simply (e.g.) DK 11A9... I wonder why not using fr. became the convention of the presocratic fragments...

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »