Are there any good Greek textbooks similar to Wheelock?

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Are there any good Greek textbooks similar to Wheelock?

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Hi guys, I'm just finishing Wheelock, and trying to pick up some Greek, is there anything besides From Alpha to Omega that is similar to Wheelock. I've tried a lot of books, but I haven't been successful.

Dante
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Are there any good Greek textbooks similar to Wheelock?

Post by Dante »

Mastronarde's "Introduction to Attic Greek"

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

I've tried that one as well. My problem is the accent marks, this is what confuses me. I wish that there was a book like Wheelock, but teaches Greek instead.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman »

I posted a little bit about it here:

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... 19&t=64670

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

My problem is the accent marks, this is what confuses me.
Is there something about the way accents are presented in the book or is it a general problem with accents? If the latter just learn the accent in the dictionary form from the outset and the rules of accentuation will fall into place with experience. If its a problem with the book you can supplement its explanations by asking here or using on line resources.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

Just to add one thing to all the good comments above – I found it very helpful, particularly in the early chapters of Mastronarde, to go back and re-read the section at the beginning on accentuation many, many times. If you reinforce the information given there with your observations on how accentuation works in the chapters presenting the first two declensions (always reviewing the rules whenever you're in doubt), it will eventually all sink in. It takes time, patience and lots and lots of repetition.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Truks gives good advice here. A number of textbooks usually suggest looking through the section on accents and then referring back to it as you progress. Just because it's first in the book doesn't mean you have to master it before you proceed.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

strnbrg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by strnbrg »

What do you mean by "similar"?