Gaza Transcription Project

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Gaza Transcription Project

Post by Amplaos »

Χαῖρετε, ὦ Ἑλλήνες!

I have already transcribed the first two or three pages of Theodoros Gaza's Iliad paraphrase, and I was wondering if anyone was interested in joining the project. I hope that by transcribing the paraphrase we might be able to produce a clean, easy-to-read parallel e-text with Homer on the one side and Gaza on the other.

Bedewere's Lulu paperbacks are all well and good (I own copies of both volumes), but I think it would be helpful to a) be able to look up a word in Gaza that I don't know instantly using Kindle dictionaries, and b) have a clearer reading experience than the flawed PDF scan can offer.

If anyone is interested, please let me now so we can move ahead full steam with the project.
Ῥήθεντα ὑπὸ τοῦ μεγάλου ῥήτορος Δονάλδου Τρᾶμπ·

"Ἡμᾶς μὲν δεῖ τεῖχος οἰκοδομῆσαι, αὐτὸ δὲ ταχέως οἰκοδομηθῆναι."
"Συνίημι τοὺς λόγους. Ἔχω δὴ τοὺς ἀρίστους λόγους."
"Ὀλίγόν μοι ἐδανείσεν ὁ πατήρ, ἑκατομύριον δολάρια."
"Μοι δὲ ἀρέσκουσι οἱ μὴ ζωγρηθέντες."

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Gaza Transcription Project

Post by bedwere »

Unfortunately my day has only 24 hours. Therefore I can only give you my moral support for this highly meritorious project!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Yes, I am willing to help, because I think Gaza is such a tremendous Homeric help. The mechanics of the work is likely to be tedious and slow going, so, the more volunteers, the better.

I know that there are various groups that are doing optical scanning projects. Bedwere and Joel may be able to tell us right off whether the text we have is at all suitable for this.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Markos wrote:I know that there are various groups that are doing optical scanning projects. Bedwere and Joel may be able to tell us right off whether the text we have is at all suitable for this.
Considering the number of typos obtained in the OCR of the very clear scans at the Lace repository, I''m rather skeptical.

Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amplaos »

Well, for now I'm going to try to get Book 1 transcribed over the next week or so, to get a feel for the process, and so on. Thanks for the support from you both!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Amplaos wrote:Well, for now I'm going to try to get Book 1 transcribed over the next week or so, to get a feel for the process, and so on. Thanks for the support from you both!
Ἀγαθῇ τύχῃ :D
If you post here or send me your transcribed text, I can process it with Kata Biblon and look for typos.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

OCR from the same page of Sprechen Sie Attisch?. Both programs run the same engine, tesseract.

OCRFeeder

VietOCR

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

We could probably increase the accuracy a fair amount by training tesseract directly against the Gaza typeset. I've been thinking of doing something like that to create a better digital version of the LSJ.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amplaos »

Alright, book 1 has been completed!

All the transcribed text will be found here from now on: https://docs.google.com/document/d/194I ... sp=sharing

If anyone wants to help out by correcting errors, or even transcribing some text themselves, go there. For now I'm doing book 2, but if anyone would like to do book 3 or any other book in the meantime, send me your email and I'll approve you as an editor of the doc (anyone else can only comment).

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I corrected the errors that I saw on the first page, but I wasn't being super careful, so I doubt I caught everything.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amplaos »

Yeah some of that stuff is errors in the original text that I only noticed later on, such as the grave before the half stop, and putting the breathing on the upsilon instead of the iota in huios (on mobile, can't type polytonic)

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

There are some errata listed at the end of the book.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Amplaos wrote:Alright, book 1 has been completed!

All the transcribed text will be found here from now on: https://docs.google.com/document/d/194I ... sp=sharing
Wow, it looks great! This is a real mitzah that you've done. σοί οὖν εὐχαριστοῦμεν!

ioannis6
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ioannis6 »

Amplaos wrote: For now I'm doing book 2, but if anyone would like to do book 3 or any other book in the meantime, send me your email and I'll approve you as an editor of the doc (anyone else can only comment).
Hi "Amplaos",
I'm at the moment working on Iliad-B (preparing the text for a new recording) and it would be fun to assist you in your project, as a matter of pause now and then.
Would you mind explaining me how & what I could help with?

I've added some remarks on your Iliad-A document; did you get notified, or I'm the only one that sees them?

You can react here or privately at support@podium-arts.com

Greetings

Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amplaos »

Hello,

Yes, I have seen your notes. I am currently unable to work on this project, sadly.

Gergian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gergian »

Dear all,

How is this project today?

This topic was suggested to me, in view of our project to recover books:
https://simonidesproject.github.io/SimonidesPage/

And I created a template for it. I made an OCR (gImageReader) but it is not so good, I suspect that we will have more work using this OCR than type directly, anyway, you can see here the result:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mldML ... aLhnwGRqYA

In the same folder, you will find the template (in LaTeX) and the PDF output. We made everything in Attic Greek, it is a full attic book, Number system in Attic, header, footer... And we put the Original Homeric in facing pages with Gaza.
The PDF output here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10DfO7 ... JdU6QqVo54

Unfortunately, I personally do not have enough time to contribute to this project, but I can help with LaTeX.

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

i was wondering if any updates have occured on this project.

if not, i was gonna take a shot at it.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Amplaos wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am
If anyone wants to help out by correcting errors, or even transcribing some text themselves, go there.
I have made some suggestions on the first page. I am very glad that this project is going on; it is very helpful indeed. Thank you...

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

As it was somewhat difficult for me to find specific words in the original text, I have divided it (Book 1) so as to match the paragraphs of the edited text. In case this is also useful to others, see this: https://vasilestancu.ro/iliad_1-paraphr ... ginal.html.

It appears that there are several correction to make, therefore I think it would be more practical at this stage that contributors submit their comments in a separate sheet (like this, for instance: https://vasilestancu.ro/Iliad-Theodoros_Gaza-Page1.pdf), rather than commenting directly on the google drive file.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

I anxiously look forward to having access to at least Book 1 of Gaza's paraphrase and include it in a material which I have prepared to be used in a reading group. I have already inserted the paraphrase for the first 32 verses: https://vasilestancu.ro/iliad_1-transla ... hrase.html.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

I just found that two sentences were missing on page 2 (second paragraph). I have revised the respective files accordingly.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

I have revised also pages 3, 4, 6 as I found some text missing. Right now I am trying to split the text into verses and this is how I noticed the missing text from the original file. I shall advise when I finish the splitting. In the meantime, I shall revise the pages, without notice, whenever I find any discrepancies.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

I have finished splitting Gaza's paraphrase to fit the Homeric verses for the first book of the Iliad:
https://vasilestancu.ro/iliad_1-transla ... hrase.html
I would be happy to receive any comments.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

This looks really cool. I noticed that you updated graves to acutes before punctuation, but I saw a few missing, so I ran through quickly and found more at lines 15, 52, 115, 185, 193, 200, 210, 239, 349, 356, 387, 393, and 404. You might consider removing the breathing marks on the double rhos at lines 48, 75, 92, 110, 147, 360, and 413. There's a strange mark at the end of the paraphrase at line 76 and there are some notes in red that look accidental in a few places, around lines 274-276, 347, 404, and 493 at least. The typeface of the paraphrase is different in line 339 for some reason.

That paraphrase would make great material for creating exercises or even a reader. If it's not too much trouble, you might consider an option to just see the paraphrase as prose so that people could easily copy and paste it or just read it on its own. If I use it more I'll try to proofread it further.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Thank you for your comments. I have made the corrections as pointed out by you.

I also thought that I should provide the material in other formats that might be useful, such as continuous text and table. Then, anybody can rearrange it in whatever format. I can do this easily, but I prefer to wait for a few more days, in case some other comments are made.

persequor
Textkit Member

Post by persequor »

ευχαριστω σοι, ω φιλε Βασιλε!

I have Gaza's work in a PDF format, but this is much nicer. Much easier to read and use. I will be sure to bookmark it, as I will probably start on Homer next year.
Dewayne Dulaney
Devenius Dulenius
Carpe diem!-Poēta Rōmānus Horātius, Carmina (Odes), a.C. XXIII/DCCXXXI A.U.C.
Blogus meus: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

swiftnicholas wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:37 pm If it's not too much trouble, you might consider an option to just see the paraphrase as prose so that people could easily copy and paste it or just read it on its own.
I have rearrange the material so that an interlinear version is available, as well as the paraphrase only, in separate files. I have also separated the English translation from the Koine paraphrase, and integrated the material into my main page dedicated to Ancient Greek.

Thank both of you for your comments.

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

I am continuing the work on the second chapter ῤαψῳδία β.

I am using a combination of OCR training files I am creating, Libre Office spell check, and Elbow Greece.

I figure I can do about 1 book a month right now with 60% manual entry. If I can get these OCR training files working better I might be able to get 2 books done a month.

I'll keep you all posted when I finish a book.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

Vasile Stancu, I have a tool that can perform diff merges on text. So basically, I can do a file comparison and bring in the changes automatically per change.

So if you want Vasile you can make the changes directly to uyour word doc and I can pull in the changes........

or

I can just put up my doc for the second rapsodia up there and you can make changes directly to it.

Vasile Stancu
Textkit Member

Post by Vasile Stancu »

Of course, mahasacham, I can adapt my work method. Perhaps the easiest way would be the second choice, i.e. to make the changes directly on your text. I suppose I need some kind of approval to edit the online text myself.

mahasacham
Textkit Member

Post by mahasacham »

cool cool sounds good

I'll work on getting all the changes current and i have a few pages to add that I've completed.

I'll let you know when that's all done maybe by this weekend.