In New Testament Greek, should Savior be capitalized

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
fallenhunter
Textkit Neophyte

In New Testament Greek, should Savior be capitalized

Post by fallenhunter »

I've been looking at different versions of my Greek Bibles and in the same verse, different Bibles will either write Σωτήρ or σωτήρ. And I'm wondering which of these is correct.

I'm mainly asking this because I am designing a tattoo that is comprised of the intersection of σωτήρ and τετέλεσται, with τετέλεσται going vertical. I was going to leave it as a lower case σ because I feel that the upper case looks out of place with the rest of the design being lower, but if Σ is proper I would stick with using that.

Also, can τετέλεσται be printed vertically and still be read properly?

Thank you for all your help!

--Mike

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: In New Testament Greek, should Savior be capitalized

Post by Markos »

There is no correct answer. The small case letters are a latter development, but they have become standard. Capitalizing the first letter of certain words is really a type of concession to English usage which some (a minority, I think) editors prefer. I would not capitalize the sigma. You certainly do not have to.
fallenhunter wrote:Also, can τετέλεσται be printed vertically and still be read properly?
Sure, I think it making a cross of the two words would look cool and would be theologically indicated.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: In New Testament Greek, should Savior be capitalized

Post by anphph »

If the problem is having the two words fit, why not go for full capitals? It's even more archaic/lapidary, and besides as Markos said the miniscule is a latter development.