1519 ERASMUS FACSIMILE and Byzantine

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

1519 ERASMUS FACSIMILE and Byzantine

Post by erik550c »

Hello, I would like to purchase a facsimile of the Erasmus Greek and Latin N.T. What is the text form Erasmus used? Are there spaces between words? I am also interested in a Byzantine facsimile. But which? I don't want anything Wescott and Hort or Tischendorf or Sainaticus or Vaticanus. Any recommendations? The only obstacle here is cost.

Thank you!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: 1519 ERASMUS FACSIMILE and Byzantine

Post by jeidsath »

I saw this on the web once. I think you can find scans of the facsimile somewhere. Erasmus used the best manuscripts available at the time, but that wasn't much compared to today. If I recall, the most interesting thing I saw in the facsimile were introductions, in Greek, to the various books of the New Testament, describing the history and provenance of each book.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

jeidsath wrote:I saw this on the web once. I think you can find scans of the facsimile somewhere. Erasmus used the best manuscripts available at the time, but that wasn't much compared to today. If I recall, the most interesting thing I saw in the facsimile were introductions, in Greek, to the various books of the New Testament, describing the history and provenance of each book.
I found a pdf facsimile on archive.org of Erasmus' Greek/Latin, the original looks to have been hand-written with breathing marks and accents and with spaces between words. So if Erasmus was the first of its kind, maybe what I am looking for is a later Textus Receptus hand-written (edit: or wood carved type, etc.) with spaces and all that. I find the Sinaiticus to be too corrected, and the Vaticanus missing too many genuine verses found in the received text, not to mention no spaces between words.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Concerning Renaissance prefaces, you might be interested in the Tatti edition of Aldo Manuzio's prefaces to his Greek literature editions. (A Nigel Wilson edition!)

The Greek Classics

erik550c
Textkit Neophyte

Post by erik550c »

I found something close to what I was looking for (and on a budget). It is a facsimile of a type set reprint of the original Scrivener's Annotated Greek New Testament (a copy of a reprint). It is the exact Greek underlying the KJV, and it shows in footnotes all of Wescott and Hort's erroneous departures from the Textus Receptus. Serves well as a good reader.

https://www.amazon.com/Scriveners-Annot ... +testament

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

erik550c wrote:I found something close to what I was looking for (and on a budget). It is a facsimile of a type set reprint of the original Scrivener's Annotated Greek New Testament (a copy of a reprint). It is the exact Greek underlying the KJV, and it shows in footnotes all of Wescott and Hort's erroneous departures from the Textus Receptus. Serves well as a good reader.

https://www.amazon.com/Scriveners-Annot ... +testament
I don't understand this quest. Have you read the introductions to Robinson-Pierpont or Hodges-Farstad? There is a mountain of information about this on the web with sites dedicated to everything from Textus Receptus to advocates of Codex Bezae[1]. When I was working on a private ESV version of Codex Bezae Acts a few years back, I ran into the Codex Bezae advocates. Their publications are scholarly and very useful for anyone studying Bezae in Acts.

[1] The Message of Acts in Codex Bezae
A Comparison with the Alexandrian Tradition
By: Jenny Read-Heimerdinger, Josep Rius-Camps
T&T Clark, 2004
C. Stirling Bartholomew