Attic Greek Authors -In Classical Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
secny22
Textkit Neophyte

Attic Greek Authors -In Classical Latin

Post by secny22 »

Hello,

Would be good to know if anyone on this forum knows how to obtain Attic Greek authors who have been translated into Classical Latin. This I would greatly appreciate any information on.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Attic Greek Authors -In Classical Latin

Post by Shenoute »

Do you mean translations of Greek authors done during the Classical period or any translation done in Latin during the Renaissance or later will do ?

The former is the only way to be sure that the Latin is indeed "Classical" but I fear that your choice will then be very limited.

If the latter, then you can't be 100% sure that the Latin is 100% Classical. If that's still okay for you, you may want to check (among many others) the Firmin-Didot "Graece et Latine" editions. See here for Xenophon's opera. The Vivarium novum website had a page with a list of all the volumes and links to online editions but I can't find it now.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve!

I would suggest going to Archive.org and there search for it by combining the author's name (e.g. Aristophanes) with "latin*". That way you can find, for example, a Greek-Latin version of Aristophanes' comedies.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

This is probably not what you're looking for, but some of the old Loebs (the Greek anthology and maybe Aristophanes in particular) translate some of the material into Latin--that's how you find the good parts.

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Post by whsiv »

Desiderius Erasmus turned several Ancient Greek works into Latin in the early 16th century. Erasmus has a beautiful style all his own. It may be worth mentioning that he produced a dialogue entitled Ciceronianus, which denounced the authors of his age who relied solely on the style and vocabulary of Cicero as models for their own writing. This is not to say that Erasmus' writing is anything but refined - he just does not chain himself to Cicero.

Here is an edition of Erasmus' translation of Eurpides' Hecuba and Iphigenia. He also created translations for several of Lucian's works that should just take a simple Google search to find.

Best of luck!

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

I second Shenoute's Greco-Latin Firmin-Didot collection, the VN website is up for maintenance right now but most of the books themselves are in GoogleBooks or Archive.org, I believe. It's usually the Greek text with a (good) Latin translation. I would think that's the most sustained collection, meaning you'd find a great deal of texts just by looking through it.

Apart from that, and on a more individual basis, there have been many many Latin translations of Greek literature being published since Antiquity, like Cicero's, Boethius', the Medieval translators of Plato/Aristotle, and then the boom during the Renaissance, with people like Leonardo Bruni and Giacomo da Scarperia leading the way to Valla, Ficino and the like.

It really depends on what you're looking for, because then the question turns to the quality of the Latin: I know Ficino's Enneads were used up until the 19th century, and Bruni's Polybius was so well written that people mistook it more than once for some lost books of Livy, whereas others aren't really worth the trouble unless you're purposely approaching them as translations.