Vocat in poeta(abl.)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Cathexis
Textkit Member

Vocat in poeta(abl.)

Post by Cathexis »

Sorry, not sure how to do type macrons but -

I'm confused in trying to translate this simple sentence, "Vocat in poeta(abl.)."
"He calls on the poet," seems a fail to me but I'm stumped on the correct translation.
Can you help?

Also, is there a decent on-line Latin-to-English translator that allows for macrons
and also doesn't keep trying to turn "vocat" into "vocation?" Irritating!

TIA,

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Vocat in poeta(abl.)

Post by bedwere »

Where did you find it? The Lewis & Short dictionary doesn't show any example of voco in + abl.

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Thanks for replying,

It came from (what for me) was a dream find: An entire, untouched, intact copy of
the 1987, 1984 edition of the "Jenney's 1st Year Latin Teacher's Resource Guide."
If you like Jenney's as I do it is the Holy Grail of Jenney's. The example is in this part
of some advise for teachers in dealing with beginning students. Quote: "Be sure to
emphasize that a literal word-by-word translation between Latin and English is often
impossible. Students are likely to try to prove by the vocabulary meanings that Vocat
in poeta [abl. case] means He is calling on the poet. " [Lesson 2, pg. 8]

I took this to be legit Latin and was flummoxed when I tried to translate it. I figured
the book was citing this as an example of confusing two English uses of calling,
i.e., "visiting" versus "vocalizing". Now, with your reply I'm wondering if they meant
to cite this as an example of Newbie students "making up" Latin where none existed.
Or, just another typo of ablative ending for the nominative sing. made by putting a
macron where none existed. The book does not specifically identify the ablative other
than putting a macron over the final "a".

I would welcome any replies and thanks again for help with this head-scratcher!
It doesn't matter much in the whole universe of things but since I have made a firm
commitment to complete at least two years of Jenney's Latin it matters to me. :lol:

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I think that what Jenney means is this: students tend to translate literally. So when they have to translate from English to Latin He is calling on the poet, they end up writing vocat in poeta, which doesn't make sense in Latin.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

bedwere wrote:I think that what Jenney means is this: students tend to translate literally. So when they have to translate from English to Latin He is calling on the poet, they end up writing vocat in poeta, which doesn't make sense in Latin.
That's exactly what Jenney means. It's an example of how students translate wrongly.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

BIG thanks to all who replied!

Well, I feel better. It seems my spidey sense was telling the truth
that something wasn't right. You have to expect that sort of thing
once in a while when you're self-taught (or trying too). I hope the
group here knows you are appreciated 'cause you are.

My best,

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum