Indirect discourse

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Kachikawawa
Textkit Neophyte

Indirect discourse

Post by Kachikawawa »

Hello!!

"Ita sane non censeo. At quamobrem Solo nullam poenam in parricidas statuit? Quia nemo Atheniensis umquam post hominum memoriam patre suum occiderat , nec ille vir sapientissimus arbitrabatur quemquam postea tam inhumanum scelus facturum esse."

"I indeed don't think like that. But why don't decide any punishment to paricides? Because anyone from the Athenians had ever killed their dad after the memory of men, neither that wise man thought that anyone "

I didn't undestand very well those things that are highlighted.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Indirect discourse

Post by mwh »

Solo is Solon, the Athenian law-giver. statuit best understood as perfect.
Quia nemo …” “Because no Athenian (nom.adj.) in human memory had ever killed his own father, and that most wise man (i.e. Solon) did not imagine that anyone would subsequently commit so inhuman a crime.” (acc.&inf. quemquam … facturum esse, fut.act.inf.)

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Indirect discourse

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Just to make sure that you are clear, you understand how indirect discourse/statement works, right? Verbs of saying, thinking, perceiving and the like (basically any verb that in English may be followed by the clause marker "that," as in "I say that...") are followed by the accusative subject and the infinitive verb, but we translate them as though nominative and finite verb.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...