Two more questions from LLPSI Cap XLV

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Two more questions from LLPSI Cap XLV

Post by pmda »

Two things from LLPSI Cap VLV by Orberg

1) He (adapted frm Livy) is describing Tarquin's strategy of making friends and building power.

Latinorum sibi maxime gentem conciliabat, ut peregrinis quoque opibus tutior inter cives esset...

He [to the greatest degree] made friends of the Latin people (gentem Latinorum), so that (and here's the tricky part) both amongst foreigners and the powerful he would be safer amongst the people.

Stripping out peregrinis quoque opibus it seems to mean 'so that he should be safer amongst the people' so peregrinis quoque opibus seem to qualify it

My translation seems wrong and I'm not sure where peregrinis and opibus fit in. Are they a disjunction of some sort? Is it that immigrants are contrasted wiht the powerful of the city...?

2) Tarquin calls a meeting with the leaders of the various tribes or group to discuss matters of state...

Conveniunt frequentes prima luce — ipse Tarquinius paulo antequam sol occideret venit!

I'm taking it that frequentes here means a 'multitude' and not an adverbial 'often' - but ipse Tarquinius paulo antequam sol occideret venit! ?

Nonne Tarquinius antequam alios venit?

The following paragraph has one local leader complaining that Tarquin has called the gathering but hasn't showed up.. so what does ipse Tarquinius paulo antequam sol occideret venit! suggest? That he arrived the previous night befor sunset?... And if he's not there during the gathering then where is he...?

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Two more questions from LLPSI Cap XLV

Post by Shenoute »

1) Peregrinus is an adjective here. Peregrinis opibus "by foreign resources/by external help/power, etc", meaning that his close links with the Latins will protect him from unrest at home (inter cives).

2) paulo antequam sol occideret "not long before the sun set". All the others were there at dawn (prima luce) but Tarquin, in sharp contrast (cf. ipse) arrives only at the end of the day.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Two more questions from LLPSI Cap XLV

Post by pmda »

Great. Many thanks. I'm out of practice I think. Much appreciated.