Latin Podcasts

Latin after CDLXXVI
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Latin Podcasts

Post by Ursinus »

I've heard of Latin podcasts in Latin that speak about various things, such as the news. What are the names of these podcasts? Also, are there any done with the ecclesiastical pronunciation? That'd be great!
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin Podcasts

Post by rmedinap »

The best out there is doubtlessly Latinitium. And no, they don't use ecclesiastical pronunciation. But that's no problem, ecclesiastical pronunciation is incredibly easy to learn, just learn Italian pronunciation and there you go.

Recently Roberto Carfagni made a recording of the first two chapters of the Familia Romana with ecclesiastical pronunciation. He also made a video about pronunciations.

Alternatively you can just look in YouTube for any recording of Luiggi (Aloisius) Miraglia like this one.

There's also available a complete recording of the Familia Romana in Amazon made by Patrick M. Owens. But I am very reluctant to recommend it, even despite the great personal respect I have for Patrick. The people recording it sound just soooo American and let's just say it "un-Italian" that it makes me forget the great theatrical skills of the voice actors and the great production of the recording.

If you don't mind the restored pronunciation you can also check Evan's channel. He's made many recordings of very interesting material.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Learning the ecclesiastical pronunciation is not really my concern. I know it very well. In fact, I know both pronunciations. I use the ecclesiastical for about everything, though. I used the ecclesiastical audio for LLPSI and it was very well done. I am trying to work on bolstering my neo-Latin vocabulary for speaking and would like to find something that talks about, e.g., the news in Latin.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Why don't you do your own podcast or YouTube videos, Ursinus?

You could pick up the content from here http://ephemeris.alcuinus.net/ (giving proper recognition) and produce, say, one episode a week.

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rmedinap »

Ursinus wrote:I am trying to work on bolstering my neo-Latin vocabulary for speaking and would like to find something that talks about, e.g., the news in Latin.
I can recommend that you read something written in Neo-Latin. The colloquia are a very good starting point since they usually deal with everyday matters, and there are even online versions of them. You can even download Erasmus' Colloquia with notes.

There are also several modern magazines in Latin, some are not so good, but the Palaestra Latina is excellent.

If you have doubts you can consult David Morgan's Lexicon (now edited by Patrick :D). You can read more about it here.

A good alternative would be the Smith & Hall dictionary.

Now for News there's the famous Nuntii Latini of Finland and the Radio Bremen.

Otherwise I can recommend that you assist to one of the many spoken Latin schools around the globe, here's a list of this past summer.

rothbard
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rothbard »

Apart from Latinitium, which has already been mentioned, I recommend checking Alessandro Conti's Sermones Raedarii and Quomodo Dicitur's weekly podcast. There is also In Foro Romano, which has a similar format to Quomodo Dicitur, and a new podcast called Satura Lanx. You will probably have heard of Nuntii Latini, however it's supposed to stop broadcasting soon. Scorpio Martianus' Youtube videos are also very interesting.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Thanks for all the links. The "quomodo dicitur," though in classical, sounds absolutely delightful from the episode I listened to.

Bedwere, thanks for the recommendation. Once school winds down, I'll see about doing that.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Thanks for the mention of my channel, rothbard! :)
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS